Pacifier

do you give your baby one? why/why not?

mamasmurf171

Asked by mamasmurf171 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes to all 3. I do not know if this sounds bad but it made things a bit easier. I am a working mom who goes to college. when I had DD I was a senior in high school. They all was off it by 6 months. DD never really took to it. well my youngest had his up until almost a year he was attached to it but then switched over to a blanket
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• I dd with the grands for a few months. I did not give them to my own (now 41 and 42). Different time different parenting 'rules'.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• We called it "the plug" and yes we did give it to both kids. Babies need to suck. It's a natural thing.

My dd, now 16, loved her plug but at 2 was biting through all the nipples. We were coming back from somewhere and she bit through the last plug we had with us. She had a major fit. I pulled to the side of the road and pulled the plug out of my 2 month old son's mouth and gave it to her and told her to use his. She flicked the plug at me and said, "Baby"!! That night she was done with them and never went back.

My ds, now 14, kept losing his in the middle of the night when he was about 8 months old. We went cold turkey with him and took it away. After 12 nights he finally slept through the night and never went back.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• my daughter would never have one but my son took one until he was about 15 months old. he got a sinus infection and couldn't suck the paci so he pretty much broke himself. the reason he got a paci was the hospital gave him one when he got circumcised and i didn't take it from him b/c i felt bad.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• First daughter took one. Second daughter sucked her thumb. First granddaughter refused anything. Second granddaughter was almost three before she totally gave it up. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Offered. He refused till he was teething, then he chewed it up.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• I tried. My oldest and fourth took it. It was much easier to take it away than trying to break my 2nd and 5th from sucking their fingers. And it reduces SIDS.

Answer by missanc at 4:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2012