• In the Spotlight:

My daughter is having some tummy problems, any tips or ideas?

I switched my daughter (she is almost 10 weeks) to soy two days ago. Yesterday she pooped twice but they were little solid poops, rather than big and messy like a baby normally has. She has had another this morning and seems to be trying to push out more. I have been giving her pedialyte to try and make it a little easier for her. Any suggestions on what I should do now?

claireandsky

Asked by claireandsky at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should only be giving pedialyte under a physicians instructions. 10 weeks seems like a very young age to be giving anything other than formula or breast milk. Over doing other liquids can cause dangerous imbalances in baby's system. As for how to help her, movement is good. Pedal her legs like a bicycle. Push them in towards her chest and then pull outward to stretch them out. Lay her face down in your lap with her stomach on your leg so that she gets a little pressure on her tummy. Gently massage her tummy. All of this will help get things moving in her bowels. Part of the problem with babies is that they don't move a lot at this age, so things sort of get gummed up in there.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Her pediatrician is who told me to give her pedialyte before. He said she is old enough to have it.
    claireandsky

Answer by claireandsky at 11:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well but thats probably why she has problems now.

give her only breastmilk or formula. at 2 months you can start giving specific baby tea, especially when its really warm. nothing else at this age yet.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I just talked to my doctor about this. As long as the baby is eating, peeing, and pooping (at least twice a week) then no worries.

I was worried about the grunting out of my baby, as well as the gas she was passing. It seemed as though she was straining. It was explained to me that they are only just developing their muscles for passing gas and bowel movements. It is not painful and it is necessary.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2009