Tracking a ringworm outbreak?

I have ringworm.
I am trying to determine the source of the outbreak to prevent passing it on to family members.
I have an inside cat and a dog that goes outside for walks. Neither animal seems to be infected.
Where else should I look?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2012 in Health

• I'm a nurse at a daycare. I have often been told by parents that the doctor "said he got it in the sandbox". Well, we don't have any sandboxes. LOL. It is very often impossible to figure out where it came from. Hopefully you are using an appropriate cream and it will go away....many people don't use the med for long enough...literally use it for one to two weeks AFTER you think it is gone.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Ringworm is transmitted through direct skin to skin contact. When someone with ringworm touches or scratches the rash, the fungus sticks to the fingers or gets under the fingernails. The fungus is then spread when that person touches someone else. This fungus that can survive for long periods of time on dark, damp surfaces. You can catch if from brushes, towels and other items that have been used or touched by an infected person. Wash everything you can in hot water or wipe down infected with an anti-microbial like Cavicide...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Ring worm is NOT an actual worm. It is a fungus. It is similar to the fungus that causes athlete's foot. This is one reason why you should wipe off gym equipment if you go to the gym prior to you using it.

Honestly, you could have picked up the fungus almost anywhere. Clean what you can, keep your rash covered and treated and hope for the best.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• My son used to get it repeatedly when he was at the one child care center. They insisted it was not them as no other children had it. We left the center and he never had it again.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Ring worm is NOT an actual worm.

Yes, I know. I have been doing a lot of research on the topic. Never thought I would know so much about this.
    Thank you ladies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Thank you for the help and yes, I am treating. I did have enough sense to go to WebMD before CM, lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Disintectant your house to prevent the spread of it. Don't touch anyone.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2012