Did you see the update on the boys who bullied the bus aide?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/29/students-that-bullied-bus-monitor-karen-klein-suspended-for-one-year/

If I was that woman, & had all that new-found money, there's no way I'd get back on that bus! Time to enjoy retirement! :p    What do you think of their punishment?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• This is what I think:
    I think had that video not gone viral nothing would have been done to those students. Millions of students, and teachers and school employees, are bullied every year. It takes something being posted on the internet before any action is taken. I do not believe for one moment that this was the first time those students had been involved in a bullying incident. Why does it take this much news coverage for something to be done to kids that bully?
    And thats my 2cents.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• That us very adequate punishment. I hope others will learn from that. I do not think those boys will be bullying anyone for awhile, and I hope those boys learned their lesson.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Was it bad that I just made my daughter watch that video? She's not disrespectful but I want her to be aware of what kind of asshole kids there are in the world.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• My son has had rough years- both in middle school and in high school- last year being the worst. He had issues with a few different kids- 2 mainly and I swear I was in the office every damn week because of it...NOTHING got done-but I kept being reassured they were keeping an eye out and whatnot...then one day at lucnh conveniently out of the sight of cameras-a girl punched him in the eye and who got suspended? HE did. Because he put his foot out to keep her off him...they said he kicked her -that was in Texas and it was a HORRIBLE year for him.

I agree with meooma that if this thing hadn't been recorded and put on FB- it would have never resulted in any consequences for them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• I agree with the community service and the bullying classes- but a one year suspension from school? Isn't that every 12 yr old's DREAM- to get to stay home from school and not deal with homework?
    I'm not sure what the suspension does- other than to make it look to the adults like the school *does* give a crap.

I have had issues with bullying with BOTH my kids- with my daughter in middle school and it didn't end until the girl actually hit her in the back of the head with a full binder RIGHT in front of the office about a week or two before school was out- they suspended her-but we had fought ALL year with them to DO something

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• .

Like everything else it is the bad publicity. They are not going to do anything until it jeopardizes their jobs. Bad publicity makes parents angry and possibly yank their kids. Less kids, less money. Investigation. Loss of jobs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• one year in the same school?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2012

• ^^^ Not at all Izsarejman- I think it's an important lesson. Better to learn from the mistakes of others, than to repeat the same mistake later & suffer the consequences.

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• ^^^^charlotsomtimes: the boys will be going to an alternative school during that year. They don't get a year off. lol- you're right- that wouldn't be much of a punishment. :p
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• ^^^charlotsomtimes- that's horrible! I'm so sorry you & your children had to endure such outright nastiness & the lack of any back up by the school is inexcusable! I thought ALL schools were to adopt a zero tolerance policy when it came to bullying! Those that don't are just asking for another serious tragedy. (not saying your kid would snap & do anything) but some kids who don't have the parental support, could take matters into their own hands.

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2012