When should I take my 2 year old to the ER

My 2 year old came down with a fever of 99.7 so I gave him ibuprofen, like about 9 in am the temperature came back of 99.5 but his legs n feet were the hottest things on his body n he holds his head like it hurts I gave him ibuprofen again n he has been sleeping till 3:54pm at the moment he has no temperature and seems fine. When should I take him to the ER? And when is it to much ibuprofen

Blua23

Asked by Blua23 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't even need ibuprofen for a fever that low. That's not even really a fever. It sounds as though he might have a little virus. The ER should be used for emergencies.

Call your pediatrician for dosage recommendations
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• I wouldn't take him for that temperature. It seems the Ibuprofen is working. Alternate that with Tylenol.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Why not call your pediatrician now and get further instructions from him/her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Follow the instructions on the label, but honestly I wouldn't give him anymore Ibuprofen without a consult.
    Since it's Sunday and Dr's offices are closed, call your local pharmacy that has Sunday hours.
    My concern is his age.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• How hot is it where you are?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• that is not a fever, just an elevated temp. a fever is not er worthy until 103 and not responding to meds or 100 if the child has a history of febrile seizures, or is lethargic or having other symptoms with it, according to our doctor, and still not er worthy unless it is after hours (our doctors office is good about seeing kids the same day if they are ill).
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• It's not even classified a fever til 100.5
    1 degree is not a fever

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Its not a fever hun. And is it advil your giving him. Either way he should be getting 1 tsp of it every 6 hrs. It could be jsut from the heat.
    Aidensmomma2224

Answer by Aidensmomma2224 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I don't think you have Much to worry about cause the temp is not very hight you may still want to keep an eye on it!!
    SnGtaylor

Answer by SnGtaylor at 5:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2012