Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ahhhhh!!! Help!! FIL driving me crazy!!

My son is starting to crawling around, trying to walk. I live with my FIL, he loves to play with my DS but won't get up if he's getting into stuff. Every time we try to baby proof the house he just goes behind us and puts it back the way it was and says it unnecessary. Really, the issue is he can't deal with any change. He has ceramic mugs on a bottom shelf and won't put them away in storage. There are wires in plain view...and reach...of my curious son. What do I do? We've tried to talking to him but it doesn't do any good! He has no idea about kids, his wife raised his and she left him....gee...wonder why?!


Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Well, if something breaks, then it breaks. Maybe then your FIL will put his stuff away. HAHA ;-)

    Move out or deal with it. Thats all i can say. Im sorry if it sounds harsh, but you cant expect anybody to follow your rules when its not your own house.


    Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • Since you live with him its his house so there isnt much you can do but move out, then you can do whatever you want in your home.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • I guess I should also add that I pay my share of the rent and my name is on the lease!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • Explaine to him that there needs to be some changes made for safety reasons and ask him before changing anything. I'd also look into getting your own place if you can.

    Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • The only way to have your own rules is to have your OWN house.. That way NOONE can tell you what to do with anything..

    Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • have to agree with everyone. buy your own house then you can make your own rules. and other than that. why should even you move stuff around so your DS cant reach it?! You should teach your child to not touch everything. Of course they keep doing it, but then you just have to keep telling him that he is not suppose to touch this or that. Thats just part of raising a child.

    They are all curious. nothing you can do about it.

    Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • well, if we could buy our own house, we would, lol. and its not that i can't teach him not to touch it, its that there are wires and things that are easily breakable. plus, he's trying to walk so sometimes he's not even trying to grab stuff, i'm just worried he's going to try to steady himself and grab onto it and its going to break.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • I'd move out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • i don't see why its HIS house, though. I pay half the rent and my name is on the lease.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • Well I really don't see much of a difference between this question and your other question. You need to find a different place to live. Even if it's a one bedroom apartment because that's all you can afford. Continuing to live with your FIL will only cause more problems.

    Answer by feesharose at 12:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN