Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

were do i find a councillor for my daughter

Found out my 22 year old daughter was abused when she was 5, I don't know what to do.

Answer Question

Asked by laceyloulynn at 3:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • start with your insurance company for a list of social workers/ psychologists. ask your family doctor for recommendations. I also googled adult victims of child abuse and many resources came up, depending on where you live. Good Luck!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 6:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

  • If she lives in your household and is covered by your insurance, start there for lists of doctors. If she is in your household but not covered by your insurance, check your EAP if applicatible - many employers provide an EAP (employee assistance plan) that provides counseling at no cost to all members of a household for a short period of time. If no EAP and she is uninsured, there are a variety of services out there to help. 211 can provide lists of sliding scale mental health providers. (Note: I had great success with Catholic Charities - not at all Catholic here...). It may take several calls to find one accepting new patients in all these cases. Also check with your county mental health board and/or local hospitals and even possibly child protective services for local providers who will work with you. If money is not an issue, you can choose based on recommendations from others or just pick one and go from there.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 7:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

  • I'm so glad that this came out. I know it's painful for everyone, but it's never too late to get help. Hugs to all of you.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

  • Check with your insurance company and get a recommendation from a doctor or friend. Call the local hospital and find out names of therapists that specialize in abuse.

    Answer by robinkane at 9:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

  • Each person is different. She may not need a counselor or therapist. What does she want? I am sorry and I know this pain. It is such a shock. Feel free to PM me.

    Answer by LeJane at 11:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

  • Each person is different. She may not need a counselor or therapist.

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

  • Try your insurance companies website. You may have to pay out of pocket. It depends on your coverage.

    Answer by robinkane at 4:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.