Time Out? What Do You Think?

I guess its not really time out, because my son is only 10 months old. But when I tell him no and move something away from him and he continues to go after it, I put him in his car seat or high chair for 5 minutes and give him another toy to play with. My in-laws hate this and say he's too young for discipline, but I'm not trying to discipline so much as distract him so he forgets about what he's going after. Whats your opinion on this and how do you keep your kids this age from tearing the house apart?

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• He is not too young for discipline! You modify it for the age, but you should definitely be disciplining if they're getting into things!!

Telling them no, removing them from the situation and distracting them IS a form of discipline. Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with a modified time out, either...just sitting them in a spot for maybe 30 seconds.

Oh yeah...they can definitely learn at that age!
    Anonymous

• Discipline, yes - he is way too young for that.

Youre doing a good job by giving him a different toy to distract him. Thats basically all you can do. If you dont do -that-, then you will have to run after him 24/7 ;)

Not much you can do about it. They are so curious and they want to see and touch everything.

I used to take my DD on my arm, took certain things from the shelf and showed them to her, let her touch it and tell her, that only big people like mommy and daddy are suppose to play with that or touch it. She loved that. Since we did that she never really cared about stuff on the shelves :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• By 10 months my daughter knew what no was. She'd either stop or look and me and keep doing it. I started showing her around a year that if she doesn't listen she'll have to sit in time out. I didn't put her there long. It was only a minute. I'd turn off the music or tv and i had a special place where she'd have to sit. Just make sure it's not a place that you use for good sitting because she'll always think she's in trouble. I don't think it's bad to teach them they have to listen. At that age you have to pick and choose what's really worth putting her in time out. Make sure she looks at you because if she's not looking she's probably not listening. Good Luck!!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• What you are doing is redirecting and that is smart of you. May I suggest saying "uh oh" when he starts to get into something he shouldn't and then moving him when he continues. Pretty soon he'll understand "uh oh" really means "no".
    You are doing a great job :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I think 10 months is too young for a time out, their brain just won't make the correlation but distracting is good and I like the Uh oh suggestion. You just have to move everything for a while i the house so you're less irritated and they don't get hurt.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2009