For those that have experienced it, what does it feel like?

What does post partum depression feel like? Were you able to conquer it yourself or did you need meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i refused to take meds. i wanted to solve the actual problem and not just feel better. because thats all what the meds do: make you feel better but dont help you a bit.

PPD feels like hell. its the one of the worse things ive been through. there was a time when i hated my daughter. when this feeling started i knew something is wrong and i needed help. now i regret what i felt, because i dont love anybody else on this planet more than i love my little girl. But i was really sick and i got help. Thank god, now i realize how blessed i am. Took me a really long time to feel better. only person that can actually help you with PPD is a psychiatrist.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I didn't have full ppd. I was at the beginning. I was lucky to have family watching me and making sure i didn't go through it. I was really upset about my weight for starters. I was upset about the little things like feeling trapped in my house. I was tired and didn't want to get out of bed.
    My mom wanted to make me a doc apt but instead i pushed myself to get out of the house. I had mommy time once a week for a couple of hours. I'm not a very good example but i just wanted to suggest that if your feeling bad that you see a doctor. You definately can try and get out of the house even just to go walk the mall or grocery shop. It needs to be your time. You can call a friend and go to lunch. Look up mommy groups in your area . . . www.meetup.com . It's good to be around other people. I'm not saying abandon your child, it's just important to have time to yourself too!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I was angry at everything and every one. All I did was yell and scream at the world. I didn't want anything to do with anyone, just wanted everyone to leave me alone.

It got worse with each kid...the last time I was on medications but (long story short) quit taking them abruptly and never went back on them.
    Anonymous

• I have suffered with chronic depression for years but am doing very well so far in my post-partum period. People that have history of Depression are at risk for PPD. PPD is also caused by life changes, stress and hormone levels. Medication is useful for those who have a history of Depression that is due to an imbalance of the neurotransmitters in their nervous system. Medication can help stimulate the nervous system to restore those imbalances. However, if PPD is due to external issues such as stress or changes in your life ("it's just not what I thought it would be like") I suggest therapy. In that case, medication may create an imbalance instead of help. Depression is feeling sad all the time and crying for no reason. It's getting angry at little things, feeling hopeless and like there's no help for you. It's feeling alone even when you're not. If you feel you're at risk for PPD, start talking to your OB now.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I believe I'm suffering from it right now. Luckily I have my six week checkup on Tuesday.

I pretty much don't want to do anything, really. When my daughter cries, I don't get up to take care of her right away. I think "Ugh, god, what now?" Instead of "Yay, baby time!" I HATE that I don't get enough sleep at night. I HATE the day-to-day drudge of dirty diapers, endless feedings, spit up, throw up, pee, poop, no naps, short naps, etc etc etc. Sometimes I don't even want to be a mother anymore. Sometimes I wish I could just give my daughter to someone and walk away.

Of course, that's the selfish depressed bitch talking, not me. The real me loves my daughter more than life itself and wants to do whatever necessary to make her happy. That's why I somehow find the energy to get up every day.

I can't wait to talk to my doctor about this so I can get help. I don't want to feel this way anymore.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I took the meds ... I didn't want my 'mood' to effect my son. I knew what the actual problem was ... I had a REALLY stressful pregnancy. And, was targeted as a candidate for PPD. Depression basically makes you feel useless and lethargic. The joy is stripped from everything things.

Choosing meds or not is a very personal issue. I wanted to enjoy every moment with my son since he my first ... and last. Didn't want to take a chance in going to the dark side while I was taking care of him as a single mother. I feel like I made the right choice for myself. Im happy ... my sons happy ... and now that I am over my husband leaving ... I feel confident that I won't be needing the meds for long.
    jennie829

Answer by jennie829 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2009