CAFFEINE AND SUGAR!!!

DO U THINK IF U DRINK CAFFEINE AND SUGAR WHEN UR PREGNANT IT WILL MAKE U HAVE A HYPER BABY?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, but what caffeine does do is lower birth weight, and cause possible problems for the baby.
    CTMomma1211

Answer by CTMomma1211 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• No but have it once in awhile if you feel like it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It didn't for me cause me to have a hyper baby not to say that it can't. I'm addicted to caffine and even though i tried really hard not to drink it i still did. I just cut it down to one pop a day which my doctor said was better than more.
    Anonymous

• wont make the baby hyper, but sick. most caffeine-babies will be born way before the actual due-date. lower birth weight and maybe other problems later on in life.

caffeine, alcohol, drugs, some medicine.. all the same bad stuff .. when pregnant.

sugar is ok.. if its not too much.. means: you are allowed to eat chocolate if you dont eat 10bars/day ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• While you can have about a serving or so of caffeine per day and be "OK" in the eyes of the medical community, I'd still say that it is undesirable to expose an unborn child to an addictive substance. Yes, caffeine is an addictive substance and caffeine addiction is a real addiction. It can increase your risk of having a miscarriage, premature birth and low birth weight. I have read articles speculate that exposure to caffeine in the womb can cause behavior problems later in life but I think it's correlation at best, not necessarily fact. I've also read that babies tend to like the same foods their mothers exposed them to in the womb. If this is true, eating sugary foods might cause your child to prefer them in their diet giving them a greater change for obesity. Eating sugary foods can also cause you to have a large baby. Sugar is generally unhealthy and when eaten in excess causes unwanted fat.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• (cont.) While it may seem like you're leaving healthier by choosing not to add sugar (i.e. to your tea, cereal etc), most of the sugars we eat are packed and hidden into our foods. Become label conscious and check the sugar and carbohydrate (a complex sugar) content of packaged foods BEFORE you eat them. Some dinners and snacks are packed with more than the daily recommended amount of sugar in just one meal/serving! Even our milk has sugar in it. The amount of sugar we eat without realizing it causes our body to over produce insulin, sending our insulin and blood sugar levels into a continuous "yo-yo" of trying to break down and process the sugar we eat. When the "yo-yo string breaks" and our pancreas just can't do it any more, that's called Type II Diabetes. It's best to watch your sugar and do what you can to make sure your baby and children learn to enjoy other foods that aren't packed with sugar. :-) 

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• No. I didnt drink anything with caffeine in it when I was preg. w/ my first son. He grew up to have ADHD. My other son, I did drink some caffeine & he is in honors classes and never had any kind of issues. So I think its a bunch of crap when ppl tell you that drinking coke or coffee will make your child hyper active.

Anonymous

• I drank caffeine w/ my son and he is perfectly healthy! His weight at birth was perfect and have never had any issues! Drink caffeine w/ this pregnancy as well. All in moderation!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I was a waitress with my son and always tired so I drank coffee and coke (soda) atleast a couple times a day. The low birth weight is crazy my son weighed 10 lbs 13.6 ounces and was perfectly healthy.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• The only direct relation to problems with babies and either caffeine or sugar is that excessive sugar intake can increase your babies birth weight. Other than that nothing has been proven about caffeine, but they don't really know for sure so they just tell you to avoid it. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2009