Rocking to Sleep

I am currently rocking my 6 month old to sleep. It really doesn't bother me even though I know it isn't the best habit. I am wondering if they will just ever outgrow it? Are there any mothers that rocked their kids to sleep and how long did it go on for? Did you eventually let then CIO? Thanks!
PS I don't need a lesson on how bad CIO is : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 8 month old son is rocked to sleep, some nights he will fall sleep after his bottle without being rocked, but yes bad habit i know so we tried the cio thing, the 1st was 5 nights ago he cried maybe 20min then fast asleep, the 2nd night took 11min, the 3rd 4th night he was cuddling with me and before i knew it he was out in less then 2 min, and last night he fell fast asleep with a bottle.
    the cio is completely up to you and if you have no problem rocking then keep doing it. yes they will eventually grow out of it.
    good luck to you
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i dont even know what CIO is so i wont try to teach you anything about it. haha

but other than that: i never rocked my DD to sleep. because of the habit thing. my best friends son is the same age as my DD (19months). he wont sleep unless his mommy is rocking him. nothing they can do about it. seems like he wont outgrow it.

i did rock my baby to sleep in the hospital though. because thats something else. she was really sick and needed her mommy more than usual. So i was rocking her until she fell asleep. but as soon as i put her to bed she woke up. hehe.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Mine all grew out of it at a year or two. Some I didn't even have to rock, they just wanted to be near me and would fall asleep that way. I've never allowed any of them to CIO.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Mine will be 3 in March and we still rock. It's something Daddy & I enjoy doing (we let him pick who rocks) and he falls asleep fairly quickly. He can take a nap without so we know it's possible. It's a nice time to reconnect and have that close contact & comfort. One day I'll be sitting in that same chair waiting for him to get home from a date....they grow up so fast. We think CIO is horrible so it's never going to be an option.
    Anonymous

• i rocked to sleep till age 1... then bought him a light that rotates images on the ceiling. he falls asleep to that now. so it was never an issue!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2009