• In the Spotlight:

Whats so bad about the..

CIO method?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hope you know that you just opened a huge can of worms!
    I don't find anything wrong with it, as long as it is implemented properly and at the right age. But every parent has there own parenting method and every child responds differently. So I might be fine with CIO and it might work for my dd, but not for another family.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I just think it's cruel. It's not something I'd ever do to any child of mine(and I never have). If I were crying for help in the middle of the night and couldn't move, I'd really hope someone would come to help me.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It's dangerous!!! Elevated heart rate, blood pressure and temperature. You might think they went to sleep but really had a stroke or threw up and choked. I'd feel so horribly guilty. My baby will always be near me and I will comfort them when they cry...that's why they cry.
    Anonymous

• Nothing, I used it on all 3 of my kids and they're all ok!

I used the method but people often make it sound like you leave them to cry it out on their own for hours at a time. That's not the case.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Of course I know I probably just opened a huge can of worms lol. But my hubby was reading questions with me and saw something about the CIO method and asked me whats so bad about it, so I told him I'd ask the cafemommers =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• First, there is a difference between whining/fussing and crying. I will let my baby whine and fuss, but I will not let him cry. He needs to know that I will be there for him when he needs me. If I go to him when he needs me, even if he only needs me to hold him, then he will be comfortable playing on his own because he knows that all he has to do is call for me and I'll come. If he learns that I'll ignore him when he needs me, he'll be afraid to let me out of his sight. Is it annoying when he won't go to sleep and I have to rock him over and over? Of course. But my job title is "Mommy" and my job description is taking care of all of his needs.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• boothk07, it's Cry It Out. It's a method of sleep training when you let your baby cry themselves to sleep.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I could tell the difference between my children's cries. I knew if they were crying because they needed something or if they were just tired. I used my best judgment about cio and it worked fine.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I feel it goes against every maternal instinct I have. My instinct as a mother is to protect and comfort my baby. If they are crying, I will pick them up and comfort them. I will not use CIO; I think that it is cruel and teaching the baby that they cannot rely on me for their most basic needs. Babies who CIO have a greater chance of being insecure and scared of everything. Many people believe that if you pick your baby up when they cry, they will learn to be dependent and not know how to comfort themselves, but the exact opposite is true for the long term. My daughter is three now and she is soooo independent and not whiny or scared. We have an extrememly close relationship and this is due to me always being there for her most basic needs. A lot of women will look for the solution that is best for them...but we're mothers! We didn't become mothers to put our needs before that of the baby.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i don't think there's anything with letting the child cry it out, so long as you check on them. my son would NOT go to sleep unless someone was holding him, so we started letting him cry it out. we'd put him in his crib and check on him about every 10 minutes and let him know we were there, but that he had to go to sleep. when we'd check on him, we'd rub his head or arm but we wouldn't pick him up.
    Anonymous