Is it possible for atheists to be saved and go to heaven?

Is it possible, through charity alone?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 10:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2012 in Religious Debate

• The Scripture that comes to mind for me is "the one who does not believe in the Son of Man already stands condemned". As others have said, there is a big difference between not knowing about Jesus and rejecting Him. Since God can do anything, I would not be surprised if He showed His mercy in a lot of ways we can only imagine. Maybe someone who believes in God and tries to serve Him the best they can and live a moral life (such as a Jewish person or a Muslim) would be welcomed to Heaven on that basis. It is not Scriptural, but God can do whatever He wants. I like to think that each person gets that one last chance in the last moments of life, and maybe Jesus appears to them just before death. He paid a high price for us to be saved, and we know that He does not wish for anyone's soul to be lost.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• Why would someone who does not believe Jesus is their Lord and Savior (or in God) be forced to spend all of eternity with Jesus and or God?

^^Or be in the company of the people who screamed at the top of their lungs about us going to hell. If heaven was full of them, I would decline an invite.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I've said before-that (according to how *I* was rasied/ taught) God created everyone/everything. God knows all. Therefore- God knoew that I would start as a beleiver and as time went on- would become and atheist. He knew it when he created me and he know the reasons why it happened.

It's on HIM if he lets me in or not...HE created me this way

*since we are pretending*
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I don't understand why someone of a different religion would care where someone else goes after death. It seems that Christians are really concerned about where people go after death. I'm Jewish and I go to Olam Ha'Ba. Whether you believe or not is not my concern. What am I being saved from?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• We dont need to be saved and how can we go to a place that doesnt exist?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• # 3. If they do consent, they are no longer atheists. ~ beeky
    *********

That was my thought when I read the question.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

Isn't this akin to asking if Jews can be saved?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I don't really see any point in arguing about this, or for bitching someone out for answering from an Atheist point of view... Christians will have one point of view, Atheists will have another... they will never have the same feelings on this one.... end of story.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• Not according to this scripture:

Ephesians 2:8 and 9
    For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God: not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2012

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2012