Help

Dh and I are ttc # 3 , I have tried to breastfeed with both of my children so far and have failed miserably. My oldest daughter had a cleft palate ( a hole in the roof of her mouth ) so she couldn't suck, I pumped but the hospital told me my milk wasn't fatty enough for her to gain weight, and my second daughter tried but wasn't ever satisfied. It always hurt so bad...My question is mainly is there something I am doing wrong? I tried to eat a well balanced diet, no drinking, no smoking. It hurt like heck though I was cracked and bleeding...are there better positions? Please help I want to be prepared when # 3 comes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't say that you are or are not doing anything wrong. But I wasn't able to BF AT ALL... I just couldn't produce at. It is hard but its not a bad thing if you have to formula feed at all.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Some women just aren't really able to breast feed their children. I really wanted to breastfeed my daughter,but she couldn't latch on, she was a preemie. So I pumped my milk, but she just wasn't getting enough. I also had cracked nipples and they bled, it also hurt very badly. I am pregnant again, and I really want to breastfeed, but if my child isn't getting enough nutrients and calories then I have to bottle feed. Their is really nothing anyone can do, you either are equipped with the goods or not! lol* Maybe you will have better luck this time!
    Anonymous

• i dont think that you are doing anything wrong. Some women are just not able to breastfeed their babies, either because the baby cant do it or it just hurts. There is nothing you can do about it.

I know how it feels to not be able to breastfeed your little one. I could BF my DD only for a couple months and then only 50% breast, 50% formula. i didnt have enough milk. i thought its my fault and i thought im a bad mother because of it. but my midwife told me that this is something that happens to sooo many moms.

I wish you good luck with #3 :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I would talk to a lactation consultant (or three) if you experience the same problems with the next baby.
    It may be that you are one of the few women who do not adequately produce, in which case you can look into a donor.
    Also, remember- the fact that you're even producing shows that you CAN breastfeed. Perhaps not to fully satisfy your little one/ adequately nourish, but you can still give him/her that little bit that you do produce, and have a breastfeeding relationship. I know women who do it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Also- if you are experiencing pain, this is more often than not due to an improper latch. Correcting the latch will get rid of the pain.
    Contrary to popular belief, milk doesn't come in for the first few days of life- all we produce is colostrum until somewhere between days 3-7 when our milk comes in. Colostrum is PACKED with nutrients. It's the absolute best start you can give a child.
    Also contrary to popular belief, yes, it CAN hurt those first couple weeks while nipples are getting used to this new stimulation and latch is being established. It's not that breastfeeding is "supposed" to hurt, because it's not, but it can and does for most first time breastfeeders until they troubleshoot.
    Another fact which goes against popular belief is that very FEW women CANNOT produce enough to nourish a child - in that case, though, it actually takes monitoring in a hospital to discover this, weighing baby before and after feedings
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• and actually pumping to see the content of the milk.
    Furthermore, bottle feeding is NOT the second best feeding method, nor is formula feeding.

And to reiterate my first post- even if you don't adequately produce, you can still breastfeed.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I'm wondering how they could tell you in the hospital that your milk wasn't fatty enough? Normally, you're producing colostrum while still in the hospital, your milk hasn't come in yet. You can stimulate milk production by pumping every two hours for 15 minutes each breast after the baby has had some, slowly getting more and more each time (starting when the baby is born). When the baby is born, have them do "skin to skin" placing the baby on your bare chest. It stimulates your milk production and also regulates the baby's heart beat, levels their blood sugar and encourages their body to control body heat. Check with your insurance, a lot of insurances will pay for visiting nurses to check up on you at home and assist you with breast feeding. You can always take what milk you do produce and mix it in with formula. The baby still gets your immunities and the natural laxative that is in breast milk that way.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My first daughter was in the NICU for a month due to her health problems...They loaned me a pump and had me pump every 2 to 3 hours while she was in there. I don't know exactly how they determined that the milk wasn't fatty enough but they did, and told me that she would be "better off" with formula. It killed me inside, I felt like it was all on me..I was a terrible mom even though they tried to tell me I wasn't. I bf'd my 2nd daughter for about 3 weeks, giving formula in between feedings since she was always hungry, but after the three weeks she wouldnt take anything anymore, I had to switch her to sippys, she wouldn't even take the bottle...Arg, this is so frustrating at times all I want is the best for my children!!
    Miranda926

Answer by Miranda926 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree with Liyoness. . . consult a lactation consultant. Perhaps you aren't latching right. Also, It can hurt the first couple weeks. Make sure you have some type of ointments or cream like lanolin to use on your nipples. It should prevent them from becoming cracked. Stick with it. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• What makes you think that your second daughter was always hungry??

Giving substituting with formula is a surefire way to deplete your supply and make you produce less.

Some babies love the comfort of breast- my first daughter was at the breast a good 18+ hours a day. It wasn't a supply issue, she was just a booby baby right up until she weaned off her comfort nurses at 2 years old.. Her sister nurses considerably less than she did.

If you feel like baby isn't getting enough DO NOT substitute!!!! Talk to lactation consultants, and actually get them to check baby and milk out.. You cannot possibly know what sort of supply you are dealing with simply by how frequently your baby nurses.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2009