What is the worst thing to say to a new mother?

In your opinion what is the worst thing to say to a new mother?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2012 in General Parenting

• hm... one of the worst things is "when are you due" lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• What do you do all day?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• ^yep, even at age 7, i still get unsolicited advice from 'well meaning' friends about whatever crops up now. just because you (in general) have passed a certain milestone, doesn't mean you know it all.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• "Why isn't your baby doing __________________ yet? Mine was doing that MONTHS ago!" Way to make a new mom feel insecure about her baby's accomplishments!

I also HATE that gender confusion. When my daughter was a baby we used the same infant carrier as her older brother. The carrier was a dark blue with animals all over it. SHE was in a pink outfit, covered by a link fleece blanket with a pink bib with "I'm NOT a boy" on the front, clearly displayed for anyone to read and people were STILL asking me how old HE was and what HIS name was. I'd point to the bib and walk off without answering.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• "wow...you look really tired. are you getting enough sleep?"

i have naturally dark under eye circles so i always looked REALLY super exhausted. and i just wanted to yell "i have a newborn you twat! of COURSE im freakin exhausted!!!"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• About my twins ...

"Are they natural?"

"Are they identical? (well, one has dark hair and the other is blonde to start with)

"How can you tell them apart?" (ditto)

"Which one do you prefer?" (WHAT???)

(on observing my exhaustion) "You should nap when they do" (well, I would if they napped at the same time!)

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Your baby is too (insert adjective here... fat, thin, loud, quiet, fussy... ANYTHING).

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• ''i can't believe you don't...!'', as if she's a dumbass. she's learning as she goes..even those of us who read all the books we could, still did things wrong occasionally. no one needs that kind of pressure from anyone, even if you meant well.
    tact is necessary.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• My child was very small and poeple wounld ask me if I feed him,it really upset me ,eveyone was saying it even my hubby family
    Anonymous

• You know you really should (insert obviously out dated advice here)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2012