How would you feel if your parent(s) visited your state and wouldn't make the time to see you?

My friend lives in Florida. He dad calls her up about a month ago and starts bragging about how he and the "family" (his 2nd wife and her kids and grandkids) are going to Orlando,Disney,EPCOT,the whole shebang. She asks him if he's coming to see her,see her new house,he says "we'll see"
She lives 50 miles from Orlando,right off the interstate.
He arrived there yesterday morning. She called him several times and left messages,telling him when she and her husband were available,he never answered or called her back.
Last night he calls at 6:30,tells her they are halfway through EPCOT,having fun,what did she want when she called. She tells him that she called to tell him when they were available for him to visit,so he didn't show up and they were gone
He starts talking about how busy the trip is,they have so much to do.One of the things he mentions would take him RIGHT past her area. He says her won't be able to squeeze her in.
She hasn't seen her dad in 3 years. You'd think he make the time to swing by and see her,go out to lunch or something.
My heart breaks for her

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2012 in Relationships

• id feel pretty crappy! i mean its one thing if you are visiting Houston & you cant visit your family in Dallas, but 50 miles isnt that much especially if she's willing to meet him halfway. my inlaws live in Louisiana and DH would be extremely upset if they came all the way up here (OK) and didnt visit us or at least meet us somewhere for a quick meal! the same goes for when we go to Mt Nebo, AR & meet the inlaws...we always go see DH's dad b/c he lives about 30 mins from there.

its just the right thing to do and something you WANT to do when you love someone...especially if its been 3+ years and the person knows you're going to be right next to their area.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• That's not a father. That's a sperm donor.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I think it's different with a parent, and if they live far apart it isn't always affordable to go visit, so if the parent visits the state and hasn't seen them in 3 years it should be a priority. Again, the cost of day passes for her family could be expensive, I know they are here for Disneyland!!

My son lives out of state. If I went to Maryland for any reason, I'd find a way to visit him. I've been in your friends shoes, my heart breaks for her as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I would like if if they made time. When we went to Mammoth Caves last year in KY, we drove an extra 4 hours to see my ungrateful and wretched in laws in TN. However, after this month with my FIL he can drive all over Texas and even stay at a hotel nearby and I wouldn't care if I saw him or not.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• while I woudl absolutely see my children, we do not know the entire father daughter relationship status etc, so its hard to really make a choice here. I think she should call again and tell him they cant afford the passes and it may very well be the NEW family standing in the way. My parents woul never take one set of grandkids somewhere like that with out inviting them all and there are 23 grandkids.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• Fine, less stress for me
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• yeah well harshy if you hit my state and dont call well, well...I will cry!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• My brother in law does this all the time to his kids. We don't think very much of him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• Not a father... Maybe the new wife has something to do with it
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• has she gone to see him? She is an adult it works both ways now
    Anonymous