Jekyll and Hyde...

She's 8. At at school and with others, she is a model child. Perfect manners. I stay at home and have since her birth. She has always demanded my attention to the point that nobody, husband included, could even hold her as a baby because she would cry herself into puking. As she's grown, she becomes anxious at anything that she is not 100% informed of before it happening and even then, she is hesitant. She is smart, but very strong willed. It's her way or the highway. And that's my problem!! We are at constant war in the house over her behavior. She is sassy, disrespectful and aggressive toward one of her younger brothers. She says she wants them gone....obviously that is not happening. I do make it a point to do things only with her, she's enrolled in dance and softball, but the moment we return home, her negative behavior starts back up. She calls us all stupid, tells us she hates us and wants us to die. At bedtime, she is up out of her bed and all over the house disrupting her brothers. I tell her to clean her room, she refuses. I have tried every form of punishment...she doesn't care. Now my two year old it starting to do it too and I need HELP.

khedy

Asked by khedy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The fact that the symptoms don't appear across all domains is what makes me feel this is more a behavioral issue at home. Typically (note: I said TYPICALLY, not always) if it is other issues, the problems would appear across all domains and not just one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• Have you gotten her a psych eval? Talk to her pediatrician about that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• I can only go on what you have said. I would say that she has been the center of the world at home and has be deferred to and found this out as a baby. I would get her and yourselves into counseling. I also think that maybe if you stop giving her the attention you will stop feeding the monster. Of course like any other thing the monster will get very angry and worse before it gets better. Softball and dance are extras and if she is not going to do normal chores then she should not get the extras. Cleaning her own room is her chore.
    If she destroys toys or clothing do not replace it. If she can not behave nicely to others seperate her from the family. This means in a place where there is no diversion except her own thoughts. Talk to her quietly and tell her that you know that she knows how to act with other people and you believe she will make the right choices at home also.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• since issues for so long i am going to suggest this site    http://www.feingold.org/

look at symptom page then overview-large site

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• saw your question- i call my daughters action dr Jekyll and  mr Hyde= BEFORE i took out LAKE dyes
    LAKE dyes are artificial food dyes- that make some children just down right nuts (read symptom page)
    i took these out, and huge difference,then i followed the rest of diet.taking these chemicals out of diet can help many not just spectrum kids

* have to follow 100%, even if my child has one treat with these chemicals- she turns into dr Jekyll and  mr Hyde
    it is not how many veggies your child eats, it is sometimes - just one treat that has chemicals that messes with the brain 

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2012

• Write up a list of 'rules'. Have a discussion with her as to what happens if she doesn't follow them. I tell my son that if he wants to be a brat, that's fine, he can be a brat in his room. He had a fresh chance every day. It took a few weeks, but he got tired of his room.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2012