why does it hurt?

I was feeding my dd and all the sudden I Felt a pain like I pulled a muscle in my breast and it is still hurting. what could it have been?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breasts are mostly fatty tissue, so I don't think it is a muscle but I understand the feeling. I get a similar feeling. I've discovered that while sucking, my son will shift his mouth slightly and suck other parts of my areola up into his mouth. It feels like a sharp pinching/pulling. He has a very strong suck and it hurts! After a couple of times of it happening, you'll be able to see little broken blood vessels (like bruises) on your areola.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I understand that its not a muscle that is just what it feels like.

Ok but it hurts at the top of my breast all the way down like a line I dont know it just makes it hard to feed her cause it hurts.
    Anonymous

• Maybe it's a plugged duct? I'd look into that, and see if you match any of the symptoms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It sounds like you may have a clogged milk duct. You may want to go into a hot shower and massage your breast. this will help to unclog it. this will also cause a let down so you may want to take a hand pump in with you if you have one and this wight help as well. If the area becomes hot and swollen call your dr because you do not want to get an infection. You can also take cabbage leaves and freeze them then stick them in your bra and it will help with the pain. If it continues though call your dr right away.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Like others have said it may be a clogged duct. The best fix is to nurse on that side as much as possible, even if it's uncomfortable. Also, massage the area while nursing and when not, use a warm compress on it. It should clear up soon. If you notice red streaks or feel hotness at the area, it may be a sign of mastitis, a more serious infection caused by clogged ducts. You can and SHOULD nurse through mastitis as not doing so makes it worse. You may want to contact a local Lactation Consultant or La Leche League for more help and one on one advice.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2009