What can I do to keep my 19 month old son from screaming like he's in a horror movie? The high pitched screaming is really hurting my ears. I try distracting him and changing the scenery, but, nothing seems to work. Help!

Asked by greekmommy1 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok, I totally hear you on this one. My son is 13 months and has recently started this too. Although it's more of him just experimenting (extremely loudly) with his vocal cords so tickling him usually switches it pretty quickly to giggling ...

Answer by jenjosfirst at 6:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• ignore him when he does it

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try asking him what is going on. He might be wanting attention, but I agree also with Katiesmom, ignoring thier bad behaviors makes things mysteriously STOP.

Answer by miss_rae at 8:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• sometimes shock value works. next time he does it, scream with him. see if it does anything. it will atleast make you feel better. lol. or as silly as it sounds, touch something (i.e. popsicle stick or qtip) to his tongue since his mouth has to be opened. he won't want to scream because he won't want it in his mouth. these are both dramatic but might work if you've tried the other tricks (like ignoring or distracting). good news, it's just a phase he'll pass through it.

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008