Basement as an apartment ?

Right now alot is going on and after my ex left it got harder with one income. I have two kids and my parents have an open basement they rarely use... It's two bedroom full bath extra see in room with table fridge and a place for washer and dryer. Huge living area a bar a pool table and vlosets. Only thing it don't have is a stove..? Would be okay to ask them to rent it even though I know they wouldn't want the money? And would it be okay to ask to redo it if they say I can rent it? Biggest downfall is there is no door from outside straight to basement? Would you be okay with staying in parents basement until you got back on your feet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2012 in Home & Garden

• There is no harm in asking. If fact it sounds like an ideal place to stay for a year while you get things together.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• It should be (IMHO) Ok to ask your parents anything.
    If you think they would be open to the idea, why not?
    You need help and if you have a healthy relationship with them they may be very open to the idea of making sure you and the children have a safe environment.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Totally depends on your relationship with your parents. IF it is a good and they respect you as both an adult and a mother, then sure, ask them.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Me and my dad have a great relationship. Me and my mom rarely get along, but we usually just don't talk bec I dislike my younger brother and the stuff he does.. My biggest concern is no private entrance.. My dad always wanted to put one down there, but my mom always made a big deal about it..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I would depending what my other options were.
    OhGloria

Answer by OhGloria at 8:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Other options: stay with other family members...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I would NOT ask them to live in their basement AND then suggest they remodel to make it more comfortable for me. I would ask them if they would rent their basement to me and I would be grateful to have an affordable place to live. If dad suggests the remodel that would be great but YOU asking them to do that seems ungrateful to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I guess I didn't see it as ungrateful bec dad has offered it to me before, before I had my children.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I don't want remodel really, just add stove and washer/dryer.. Maybe paint.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I don't see a problem with any of it. Even with family I would draw up a lease of some sort, just to protect you and them. That is just me though. It sounds like a great place to stay while you get back on your feet.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2012