How can I wean my 15 months old before I give birth to my next child?

I'm 12 weeiks pregnant with our third child and still nursing our 15 month old. I had hoped to wait until she was two to get pregnant because I didn't want to rush the weaning process. I nursed our first for a little over two years and it was wonderful for her to be talking age and be able to understand why we weaned when it became time. Now I am fine nursing about 3x per 24 hours but not sure my attempt to gradually wean my little one is really working towards anything less since she is still very much attached to the breast and not able to talk through. I don't want to hurt her feelings and yet I would like her to be over it at least a couple months before my due date so that there isn't a huge jealousy towards the new sib. Any help?

sgdmom

Asked by sgdmom at 2:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may find that she weans off herself because your milk production drops off. I thought I was going to have a problem and the second weaned herself in three weeks! Start by giving her a snack before you would normally nurse and just knock a few minutes off each feeding until you're not doing it anymore. Just remember she needs two cups of whole milk each day if she isn't nursing. Good luck!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• th above statement is false. whole milk is nothing like breastmilk. no one NEEDS cow milk. it's just an easy source of calcium. breastmilk has SO much more than that. you still have the option of tandem nursing. your eldest can still have the immune, health, oral, & emotional benefits of nursing while having something to share w/ her new sibling. it's totally safe on your bun in the oven & way safer than switching to cow milk which has so much harmful/unnecessary crap in it. weaning shouldn't happen in times of stress or change. a new baby in the house will be a very stressful change. i would just continue nursing. my nearly 16mos old nurses all the time. it'd be VERY difficult on both of us if i tried to wean her. it's a strong attachment but certainly not a bad one.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• You don't have to wean. There is no risk to your new baby unless you have problems with preterm labor. If you do I wouldn't do it slowly so you don't stress your baby. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and still nursing my son. He was 15 months when I got pregnant.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• You dont have to wean for any reason.. Your 15mo may wean herself during your pregnancy... But if you know you are wanting to wean for sure. just do it slowly. drop 1 feeding for a week. starting with the easiest feeding.. Try giving her snacks or a sippy cup. if you know when shes about to ask to nurse, get up get busy- she may change her mind since your busy. instead of nursing play with her on the floor or get her into doing something that is active..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009