Can i Take Castor Oil To Induce Labor? I'm 36 weeks and 6 days . I went to the hospital yesterday and my cervix is closed and they couldnt find the baby's head or anything because he is turned side ways. Is it safe for me to take it now since im about due. my due date is july the 25th Alot of people that took it said it actually works

chyna18

Asked by chyna18 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Just.....No
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I repeat DO NOT do it. your barley 37 weeks. Give that baby time! He/She will come when SHE is ready not when you want them.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I wouldn't.
    Most likely all it's going to do is give you explosive diarrhea and make the baby poo in the womb. If the baby is sideways,you aren't ready. The baby needs to stay in there 2-3 more weeks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• NO!! Why the hell do you want to rush it!

Enjoy the peace and quiet and let nature take it's course!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• thanks everyone i really appreciate it
    chyna18

Comment by chyna18 (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Sigh... I REALLY hope this is a joke...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• There is no way this is a good idea. Your baby is not even in position. In the unlikely event that it would actually start labor, you would endanger your baby because she is in the wrong position for birth. Plus castor oil can cause the baby to poop in the womb and that could be really bad for your baby.

Just DON'T do it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I dont know why people telling me to do. they said they had they babies at 38 weeks and at 35 weeks because they couldnt take the pain anymore.
    chyna18

Comment by chyna18 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• First of all, get ready to throw up! I've had castor oil; my grandma was a big believer in it if you felt a cold or a tummy bug coming on. Probably because the castor oil is so nasty it will send anything short of AIDS running for the hills. If you don't throw up, you'll get a case of the back door trots like you've never had before in your life.

Secondly, if your uterus is closed and the baby hasn't turned with his head pointing down, you're nowhere near ready to give birth. Let that baby stay in the oven two or three more weeks before you even think about doing anything to induce labor. What if you took castor oil and gave birth, and then the baby's lungs weren't developed all the way and he had to spend time in an incubator? Not fun. Patience, Mama, patience.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2012

• NO! Its not time yet sweetie. Taking caster oil to induce doesnt actually work. Caster oil gives you the shits so bad that you have sever bowel cramps. You poop everything out then try to poop more (like the dry heaves when throwing up but in reverse. See the picture...not good!) it causes YOU to become dehydrated and the baby. (NOT good - again!) Then sometimes, not always the cramps are so bad and the pushing is so severe that you might (not a guarantee) MIGHT go into labor, but again usually not. So you just put yourself thru a self induce sickness complete with per-laborous contractions just to poop yourself sick. and IF you do go into labor, you will be so sick from pooping yourself sick that you wont even enjoy your first moments of being a mother.

Now why would you want to do that? Enjoy every minute you have. You dont get a do-over. Each child born is different and very very special. (I have had 4 beautiful babies)
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2012