Just curious about people who adopt

Why do people adopt outside of American? I was watching a show were the couple spent there life savings on adopting a child from another country, it turned out to be a scam but anyway my question is Why do people adopt outside of the US? Angelina Golie, Modonna etc. there are so many children that are in need of great parents here in our country and instead of helping out these other countries why not put the money back in ours??

determind

Asked by determind at 3:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Adoption

• mm i hate to say this most kids up for adoption in the us, is handicaped or has special needs or behavioral issues.. i know its sad but thats a big reason for it and the kids in the us are normally over 5.. not to say always but these are big reasons why overseas you can adopted an infant..
    Anonymous

• OK thank you, that makes more since to me and explains the answer to my question
    determind

Answer by determind at 3:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My husband and I felt the same way as you when we started looking into adoption. We looked into both international and domestic adoption and thought that domestic would not only be cheaper, but knew there were so many children in our own country that needed homes. Two years later and $20,000 (so far), we have yet to be matched with a birthmother. I am starting to question why we chose to adopt domestically. It has been the most painful and heart-wrenching 2 years. Why is it that so much power is given to a birthmother? (Especially when she is basically choosing a couple based on their picture) We have already been deemed fit parents when we went through our home study (twice because the info must be updated annually). So I can see why so many couples choose to adopt internationally. This process has left me sad, depressed and certainly jaded.
    Anonymous

• I believe that there are a lot of things in our country that need to be addressed and that being one, I think a lot of people are pushed around with the system and there is nothing we can do. If I was a seragent mother then I would help you. I wish you the best and hope that good comes to you

determind

Answer by determind at 3:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Because children are children and need families no matter the country they were born in. Because love is not contained and dictated by boundaries and governments. Because patriotism has no bearing on building your family, following God's lead, or loving people!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Here are a couple of rhetorical questions for you. Why SHOULD someone care more about a child's need for a family more because of his or her country of birth? Why SHOULD people love others and care about them more because of their national origin?  (shaking head in disbelief at this mindset)

Anonymous

• Why is it that so much power is given to a birthmother?

Because she isn't a birthmother if she hasn't given up her rights to her child, she's a mother and has all the power every mother has. Nobody has GIVEN her this power, it's hers because it's HER CHILD.
    Anonymous

• """Why is it that so much power is given to a birthmother?""

""Because she isn't a birthmother if she hasn't given up her rights to her child, she's a mother and has all the power every mother has. Nobody has GIVEN her this power, it's hers because it's HER CHILD. """

AMEN Sister!!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 7:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Are you an adoptive parent?? Foster parent??
    How many of our needy kids have you fostered of adopted?

Personally, as a parent that did adopt internationally, I am so sick and tired of people judging us for not adopting domestically. It is nobody else's how someone decides to build their family.
    Why did we go interntaional? I'll tell you..
    We suffered with IF for 7 years, went on Clomid, got pg right away, our dd was stillborn at 36 weeks. We had always known that we would adopt from China, but we did our research anyway and decided to stick with our decision. We did not feel comfortable with the laws in the US and possibly losing another child after already losing our first daughter.
    Keep in mind that not all of the kids in the US are available either... some still haven't had TPR signed, some aren't allowed to be placed in homes with other kids or animals as well. It's not all black and white.
    Off my soapbox now...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• We tried to adopt older spec needs kid through the foster care system. But we are conservative, home-schooling Christians. Social worker trashed us in the home-study cause my DH told her that he believed children needed fathers as well as mothers. She had adopted as a single parent and took offense. DH was raised by a single mother and was merely pointing out how much he felt he missed out on by not having a Dad. Anyway, 3 yrs of fighting the system, and we gave up. Got our older, spec needs son from China. He's perfect. A few years younger than we had wanted, but still perfect. My advice to Christian families looking to adopt is to head overseas. Sadly, countries like China will respect your religious beliefs better than our own country will. How profoundly sad. Oh, and if you have bio kids, there are fewer behaviorial problems w/kids from overseas that can endanger your bio kids.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 12:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009