Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Income tax question...

I have a month old son (my first) and I am living with my parents right now. They support my 2 brothers, sister, me and my son. I am married but he doesn't live with us (he lives with his parents and has no job) and of course a divorce is too expensive. I was wondering if any of you knew if my parents can include him in their income tax?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I think they can claim him as a dependant but not on EIC or anything like that

    Answer by gemgem at 3:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • your son or your husband? The husband no. But if it is about the son- then yes. BUT make sure your husband isn't claiming him or that can lead to a bunch of problems. But yes, since your son is living with your parents they can claim him.

    Answer by ZaTa at 3:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • Your DH NO, but your son yes. Just make sure that your DH is not planning on claiming your son as your parents will end up owing the government for a duplicate child tax credit.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • I'm afraid that the info above is partially correct, but you stated that your son is only a month old, so no, your parents will NOT be able to claim your child for tax year 2008. Now, for 2009, that might be different, depending on whether you work in 2009 and claim your own child. But we'll talk about that next year... :)

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • if he was born in dec.08 then he would be able to get claimed just cuz she said he was a month doesnt mean he was born right in January. if he is born anytime in 08 then yes he can be claimed. your mom might be able to claim him since she supported him moost of last yr. your best bet is to call the tax office and tell them ur situation and they maybe of more assistance.o make sure your hubby doesnt claim him either or you may have problems.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.