what is the latest treatment for adhd

dcgeren

Asked by dcgeren at 3:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• drugs....

thats the answer to everything these days, didnt you know that?
    Anonymous

• Behavioral therapy and medication.

Answer by gemgem at 3:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• DIET! research diets for ADHD. What you eat has a big affect on how you feel and act. My sister has ADD and is on a strict diet to help.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Like gemgem said its both behavioral modification as well as psychotropic meds. The meds wont work unless behavior is modified, unless you want you child to not be able to self redirect behavior. No matter what some say, there are children who need meds. My sons was 4 when the school wanted to put him on meds. I fought for 2 years for them to try everything under the sun before I agreed to that. I realized he was one of the many that actually needed the meds. It is a constant fight to find the right combo of things, including docs and schools, that mesh well with your child. You do what you know is best and dont worry about what anyone says!!
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son was on Adderall but that medicine made him realy mean. Since then they have changed his medicine to concerta. He is a very diffrent child now. He is realy doing well on focusing and he just recently went into regular classes and saids that he wants to go to college. He use to be a real problem in behavior and now he is doing alot better I am proud to say he has done a 180 and he is doing great now.
    Jms71315

Answer by Jms71315 at 6:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• What if his Psychiatrist no longer prescribing meds for ADD, because it does'nt or will not work for him..........And it doesnt, we have tried them all and my son HATES them too! What other treatment (THAT WORKS) will help him focus & pay attention?
    dcgeren

Answer by dcgeren at 10:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• diet modification. RAST testing for IgG. Also check feingold.org
    eliminate artficial colors & flavors, hfcs, excess sugars.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter started Vyvance not quite a month ago. It has made a HUGE difference in her being able to focus. We have done all the modifications, etc. but she still needed just that extra help. We are very happy.
    Anonymous