How to get kids to understand?

We all want our kids to do well it school but some don't understand or don't want to learn. What do you do to make your child understand with out you feeling yourself repeating it over and over and not get too upset. I understand they are children but I get so fustrated with them. I try not to show it but I just want to take a very long break and then kind of dread it to call them back and start over. I don't want to be this way. Any ideas on how I can make this work for me and my babies???

My husband for get it he is a zombie after he showers and eats. So I am on my own on this one :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I told mine the same thing my parents told me. My job is to be their mom. Their dad goes to work. Their job is to go to school so when they grow up they can be as successful as me, their dad, grandparents and etc. I do get frustrated sometimes when teaching them things over and over but if it gets too bad you can always get supplements or look at home schooling lessons to help with what they arent grasping in school. You can also look into tutoring services. If you cant afford them ask the school if they have a program to help or put an ad in the paper for a college or hs student who might want extra money.

Answer by gemgem at 3:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Use things that happen in everyday life and tie it in with the importance of learning and school. Like if you're with your kids at a toy store ask them to tell you the prices and make up scenarios about how much change would they get back if they had x $ etc. Just make learning a part of their everyday life, and make it fun.
    Anonymous

• I usually ask my kids if they understood what I just said, and have them repeat it back to me in their own words. This way I can get a good idea of where I lost them, and then refrase my answer until they can repeat it back to me (still in their own words, just not parroting me) . We also play dinner games. its mostly simple math or word problems, like synonyms for a word. It's just me and my two kids most nights. My husband works the 3-11 shift, so its all on me. I do dread the math homework though. I do a lot of google searches to figure out how to help. I have a 3rd grade boy and a pre-k girl. We do a lot of reading, and my little girl has to read all the sight words in her books to me. It is really trying some nights. I understand :) good luck.
    moebonner

Answer by moebonner at 9:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009