How did you come to believe what you believe?

Were you raised with the religious beliefs you now hold, or did you develop them on your own? If the latter, how did you come to believe what you do?

o0orange0o

Asked by o0orange0o at 9:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• A whole lot of soul searching. I think that people that believe without questioning at all are missing the point.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I was raised a Christian, became a Religion major in college and decided that none of them really worked for me. Still figuring out what I really believe.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I was raised in a Christian home, but none of it ever rang true for me. I have been an atheist before I knew there was a word for it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I was raised Christian as well. I have taken some of that with me. I do believe in God and Christ, but I just don't do church or organized religion. It's not what it was when I was growing up. A lot of my beliefs are based off of personal experience, and simply doing what's right.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I was raised Catholic. I left and went back to the Church a few times. There are still things I agree with in the Catholic Church, but not enough to keep me there. Honestly, I didn't find my beliefs, they found me. It was always there, I just never knew what to call it until recently.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I am still searching...
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 11:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I learned of a creator when I was around 11 yrs old or so. I attempted to read a bible a friends folks had given me. I read a little in the beginning and a little in the first part of the NT. A parable had turned me off from reading more and I then put the bible down for 16 yrs. I grew up with what little knowledge I could claim and I blamed our Father for everything in ignorance of why there was suffering in the world and my life personally. At 14 yrs of age I swore my loyalty to the devil because I hated my life and felt that it wasn't fair. I felt like I was being bullied. Every time anything got worse I blamed our Creator even more. I lived this way till I was 23. I got into witchcraft, I consulted psychics, and tarot. I was heavy into the superstition of magical stones. Astrology was another big thing in my life as well.
    When I was 23 I realized that I may not know as much as I thought so I left that life..
    Nikkijr

Answer by Nikkijr at 11:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• By then I had watched the religious programs on tv on late nights and said the prayer to invite the Messiah into my heart. I still had no clue about Him or Yahweh. I left the life I knew, and did my best to do the right thing by my inner moral compass. I then was blessed left and right and encouraged to continue to do right. It wasn't until I was 27 that I prayed for enlightenment and was then led to a NIV bible and I read it with an open mind to see if the bible had truth in it or not and have been studying since. I eventually was lead to where I worship now. Yahweh's Assembly in Messiah, and Yahweh's assembly in Yahshua. My groups and I do our best to live by the truths we are led to. Walk the walk and talk the talk so to speak. It is a process and we are very much still flawed, but we strive to be obedient children in love and respect of Yahweh through our promise at baptism to be His set apart people.
    Nikkijr

Answer by Nikkijr at 11:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• i was raised strict Christian and slowly moved out of that to where i am now. it took about 10 years to fully leave my old beliefs behind, find other beliefs, and work out what i actually believe. i researched every religion i could find info on and when i finally found something that fit (Deism) and made sense to me. i kept asking questions and still do today, but fell comfortable w/ my new religious title.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Raised christian- Pentecostal
    ended up an athiest.
    it was a combination of things - but basically, the mythology class I took in high school combined with never feeling "right" when people in the church were speaking in tongues, falling in the isles, faith healing...when my parents thought I was posessed, the death of my brother...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2012