Meat eaters - do you feel guilty?

I was vegetarian for a year, then vegan for 4 1/2 more. Almost 3 years ago I started eating meat again. I feel guilty doing so, but for some reason it's much harder to quit this time around. Is anyone else a guilty omnivore?

o0orange0o

Asked by o0orange0o at 10:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2012 in Food & Drink

• I don't feel guilty about eating meat. I think Americans eat too much of it, in general. I cut the meat in most recipes I make by a third to a half for health reasons, and my family doesn't even notice. I detest the way meat is raised for market, so I do feel a little guilty when I can't afford to buy free range organic meat, but that's different from feeling bad about putting meat into my body.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I eat some form of meat or eggs everyday. I don't feel guilty.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Nope. Why would I?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Not really
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• Nope. Not even when I pick a lobster out at a seafood restaurant.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I've never considered going veggie or vegan, but I detest factory farms (not just meat, but veggie and fruit as well). I know that no less animals die for a veg/an diet due to the chemicals that are sprayed, the transportation, etc. I also know that all of those farms are terrible for the planet, the environment, and that if one's diet isn't local and seasonal, it also doesn't help animals.

I began raising my own meat animals as my solution. I give them a good life, as natural as possible while still being protected, and I look my food in the face every day of their lives. In exchange, they provide me with healthy meat and naturally fertilize the vegetables and fruits I grow. I'm well aware of what eating meat means, so I work for an even exchange and try to put back more than I take. There are still some that I end up keeping as pets, and it's always difficult (and should be!), but I am at ease with what and how we eat.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I have never felt guilty for eating anything.
    I don't think the shark or aligator or lion would feel too guilty about eating me. lol or a rodent for that matter. I am certain birds feel no guilt whatsoever.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• No.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2012

• I don't feel bad about things dying for food, but I do feel bad about the way that some of them die. Soft shelled crabs, for one. They kill them by cutting their faces off. I saw that once on Chopped and I can't eat them now. I know a lot of the animals we eat have unpleasant deaths (obviously there is no pleasant death, but some are particularly bad). More than anything, I feel bad about food waste. When I watch Hells Kitchen and they destroy scallop after scallop order, all I can think is that each order is 6 little lives that died only to be thrown away. It's unfortunate, and the waste in this country is so common.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2012

• I've never felt guilty, I do feel for the animals who are raised and slaughtered for food. I've hunted and killed 90% of the meat in my freezer myself and the rest of what I eat is free range organic.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2012