Preemie Hat - too small??

I am working on some preemie hats to donate. I just made my first one and it seems really really small. It is about the size of my computer mouse. I wish I could post a pic to here of it! Does that sound right to those of you that have had a preemie?

hms1223

Asked by hms1223 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it would fit a small preemie.. I'd make them the size of a navel orange. When my dd was in the NICU I noticed lots of the preemie had heads about that size. Your hats will so be appreciated. A lady made my dd a small blanket and I really cherish it.
    amygray

Answer by amygray at 4:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Thank you! This one is a bit smaller then that so I will try the next hook size up and add a row or 2 for length and see how that works.
    hms1223

Answer by hms1223 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• there are preemies of all sizes, which I'm sure you know. ANY of your hats will be appreicated...BELIEVE me. About the size of the computer mouse, and maybe just a bit larger is what I remember.... bless you for donating them! Anyone who reads this, if you ever want to donate preemie clothes to your local hospital....they are ALWAYS appreicated!!!!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• That should be fine for the micros. (the ones smaller then 3lbs.) I would make some other ones a TINY bit bigger as well. Both of my preemies had heads 14cm around, so leave some with some space for them to grow as well.
    tkangel

Answer by tkangel at 7:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yep... a preemie hat should fit over a small/medium orange. A "regular" sized hat should fit a grapefruit. Seems tiny, huh?
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2009