What are some things that I can do to boost my milk supply? HELP!!

NoahNLogansmom

Asked by NoahNLogansmom at 4:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, make sure you know you have a low supply. Pumping output means nothing because pumps are not babies and cannot suck as effectively. Secondly, know that babies go through many growth spurts and may be fussy at the breast and appear hungry even after just eating. It's totally normal. The best thing for a good supply are to keep hydrated and nurse on demand. Nursing is supply and demand so the more baby nurses the more your body will make.

In the meantime, you can try FENUGREEK. Take 3 tablets 2-3 times daily and continuing to drink plenty of water and nurse and it will increase your supply.

I hope this was helpful and encourage you to contact your local La Leche League chapter for personal help and advice, all free. www.llli.org
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If your are a beer drinker,,,have one a couple of hours before feeding. Does not hurt the baby and because of the yeast in it, it helps your milk supply. My doctor actually told me about this one.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 4:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• eat well , drink water regularly, feed or when ever baby is hungry. offer both breasts at every feeding. pumping can help increase milk production. as long as baby is having several wet diapers a day and is gaing weight regularly baby is getting enough. there are herbs and meds but you should talk to a lactation person or doctor about those. dont skip feedings and becareful about bottle feeding ,if you give bottles more than you feed it can down milk supply. breastfeeding works on a supply and demand basis.may I ask how old baby is? also some meds can affect breastfeeding. why do you need to increase milk supply?
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 4:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• fenugreek by the way can lower blood sugar so dont take if you are diabetic without talking to a lactation person or doctor.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 4:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• nononsensemama said it perfectly =) very few women have actual supply troubles. but even if you do or just need a boost, fenugreek is quick, easy, & cheap. i got caps from GNC & took them frequently throughout the day.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Organic Mother's Milk Tea available at Fred Meyer/Kroger
    Anonymous

• My son is 3 1/2 weeks old now and had problems with latching on when he was born, so I am pumping so that he can at least get the benefits of breast milk. We have been doing fine with me pumping only having to supplement with formula a few times. But for the last 3 days of so, I have only been able to pump 1 oz. per side at every pumping. When before I was pumping 3-5 oz. at a pumping. I don't know what happened, but I am devastated.
    NoahNLogansmom

Answer by NoahNLogansmom at 6:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• What is wrong with your supply?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2009