What kind of dicipline do you give your child?

When they say a bad word not all of the time but I catch them throw it in when they think I am not listening. All I can say is you need to stop saying that or else...but I don't know what "else" is...lol I don't like to spank unless I have to but that gets old. If I spanked them everytime they did something or said something they would be used to this. So what do you do?

Their dad works alot but they do listen to him...go figure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask Dad to let them know that there is no bad language allowed. If they say bad words, they need to get time out for their age. Even if they are 10, require them to spend time in their room doing and saying nothing, just sitting on the bed. I try to make it connected to the offense. This one is no talking because talk was offensive. Dad needs to reinforce that if he is at home when it happens. Let him do the disciplining. When he isn't there of course, you need to do it. If they have friends over and you hear it, right then and there, but them in their room for quiet time. Start the clock whenever they speak.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I never spank there are plenty of ways to punish without spanking. I use time out, grounding, take away privileges, writing sentences is huge for me when they cuss they get sentences that take up most of their night.

Answer by gemgem at 5:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Grounding is done here in this house. He loses his games and if it gets bad tv.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Imma time out, take away priv. kinda girl. If she doesn't do well at school, misbehaves, or acts out she has to spend some time alone thinking about what she did. In her room most likely. I set the egg timer for 15 minutes and she has to think aboutwhat she could have done better.

Depending on the degree in which she messed up, SHE might be able to pick which priv. she has to "give away" for the day.....rarely have we had to go longer then that. And even more rarely, do we have to pick for her. It might be the ds one day....the dollhouse the next....a weekend treat like a movie or something another, I am very open minded and I try and go with what she likes most at the time tying it to what she did.

. I also sit down with her and provide other alternatives vs what she decided to do. I don't see a need to spank.....contrary to my parents and grandparents beliefs.
    tkangel

Answer by tkangel at 7:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Where are they hearing the language from? Perhaps start there.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I give them one warning. Next time I wash out their mouths. You can also use vinegar or hot sauce.
    Anonymous

• This isn't a problem we have here. They know what bad language is and they don't say it. In the extremely rare occasion that they do say something, and it's generally a mistake because they heard someone else say it, the immediatly appologize for it. We have never spanked them or washed their mouths out with anything or given them anything that tastes bad over this or for anything else.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2009