Do you let your child do what they want or do they have to ask permission?

In the mornings of weekends my children have started to get up and help themselves in the kitchen our bedroom is right next to the kitchen I tell them they can not start to do this alot can happen. They just started about 2 weeks ago.
My son is 7 and my daughter is 5. They serve themselves cereal but I am afraid they might get into something worse, they know better but you know how kids are they are so curious. I have already told them not to do this.
Today I woke up and noticed they each had a can of coke and had some jello earlier.
I don't want to keep them in there room, but yet I need my rest and the weekend is the only time for me. My kids wake up so early. What can I do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Keep things in the fridge and the cabnets that are easy for them to fix, I always keep BP& J and bread, chez, cereal, pop tarts etc.. things that are easy for them to fix IF they wake before we do....If you dont want them in the kitchen you will have to get up with them or put locks on everythings. What time are the kids waking up and what time do you want to wake up?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Put things you dont want them into away and locked up or get an alarm and give up your weekend sleep.

Answer by gemgem at 5:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son gets up on his own and will occassionally make his own breakfast usually cereal or pop-tart. I agree with the first poster and leave healthy things. I also lounge on the weekends but I have always told him he is to stay in his room until 8.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Why not prepare a meal for them before you go to bed? I leave for church early on Sunday morning and my husband sleeps later than 5yo DS so I prepare a meal for him before I leave and leave him notes. Juice and yogurt are ready and waiting for him in the fridge, cereal bar and fruit and vitamins on the table. (This way I know he gets a healthy meal rather than something daddy picks out last minute.)
    Anonymous

• Go to bed earlier so you can get up with them and still get extra sleep?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• SLEEP IS THE ONE THING YOU GIVE UP WHEN YOU ARE A MOM..SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE......
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 1:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My kids are 8 and 10 now but for the last 1.5 years or so they've been able to get themselves some breakfast. They get themselves some cereal or yogurt and fruit. I have had to tell my son not to use the toaster w/out permission though. For the most part they are fine on their own, until I get up. They eat, they play and maybe watch some TV. I don't think it's the end of the world for them to be up alone for a bit. Especially if you're right there in the next room.

Oh, and in the past I had to hide the cookies! Like your kids with jello and coke, my son would sneak the cookies. lol
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My 10 year old gets breakfast ready every morning while I am getting ready for work. He makes it for himself and my 5 yr old. The kids know the rules as far as what they are allowed to have. They go grocery shopping with me and we pick out things that they can make quickly and easily using either the toaster or the microwave if it has to be cooked and they always have cereal or fruit if they do not want to heat up anything. I see nothing wrong with the kids being independent.  I have always done this with my kids.  My 14 yr old is able to cook a complete meal and my kids made us all cookies from scratch tonight.  They all love to be in the kitchen and I encourage it.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 3:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My kids know what they can and can't do without permission. They always get their own cereal in the morning (they are 8, 7 and 6). They also get cereal for their 2yo sister. They've been doing it since they were 5...unless the milk is too full. Then they wait until I'm up or my son (the 7yo) attempts to pour it. They are also allowed to make toast or warm food (like pizza) in the microwave for breakfast.
    They do occasionally push them limits and get caught but they know that means losing their privileges they have and having to start over earning my trust back so they don't do it often any more. They like being responsible for themselves.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My daughter just turned 7, she knows how to make oatmeal in the microwave, a bagel in the toaster, and get a bowl of cereal. I sleep in on saturdays usually an hour after her. She will poke her head in and ask " Can I make a bagel?" She does have to ask for food out of the fridge. After school she doesn't just get in the fridge and take out yogurt or whatever. I usually give her choices on what she can pick, but she isn't allowed to just take whatever out of the fridge whenever or I would never get her to eat a real meal..she is a snacker. However when she asks for something then she can make alot of it herself.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009