I WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN I GET MY 22 MONTH OLD SON TO STOP BITTING AND SCREAMING EVERYTIME WE GO TO THE STORE BECAUSE HE DOESN'T GET HIS OWN WAY?

Naralie

Asked by Naralie at 5:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• By being consistent with your rules...Toddlers know that if you give in once YOU WILL give in again...Whether it is a candy bar or a toy if you give in to a fit it will only happen again it will not make it stop....Try going to the store for very quick trips in and out so you dont have to listen to the fit the for long periods of time...any way you can leave your toddler home with someone while you shop???
    Hang in there...You have to hold your ground or you'll never stop the behavior..
    bonnevillesle

Answer by bonnevillesle at 5:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• When it comes to toddlers and outings be consistent.

If at all possible, limit errands to morning time and make only one or two stops.
    Bring along your own drink/snack and small toys to help distract him.
    Praise, praise, praise him for being a good boy on the errand. Start as soon as you put him in the car to go, then from the car to the stroller/cart, on the way into the store etc. (assuming he's not pitching a fit).
    Finally, try to engage him in what you're doing: give him a picture book with foods if you're grocery shopping, or his own "shopping list", ask him what color things are etc. to take his mind off things.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I know this is going to sound a little strange, but the next time he has a fit do the exact same thing! scream, lay on the ground and pound your fist, what ever he does. ( no bittng or hitting though) this worked for me when nothing else did! i dont know if my girls were embarrased, shocked or what, but showing them how they were acting seemed to help.
    teamama4ever

Answer by teamama4ever at 5:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2009