How can i tell if my baby is teething or not?

He is 2months old and has started drooling ALOT, he chews on his pacci, and will just start crying out of no where like hes hurt (which is not like him at all) He doesnt have a fever or any symptoms of anything else and i dont know what to do. When hes crying nothing i do seems to help him.

AmandaHouse

Asked by AmandaHouse at 5:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• symptoms of teething are:drooling, chewing, swollen gums get some teething tablets and some infants oralgel and rub a LITTLE on his gums and see if that helps
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son is 6 months and started drooling a lot at 4 months and I thought he was teething then and still no teeth yet. I heard the oralgel does not help cause with the drooling it comes right off. If the crying last's a while it could poss. be colic. My son had that for about 3 months. But it doesn't sound like it is.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 7:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• another hint of teething is when they pull at the back of their hair and/or ear. my daughter always shoved things in her mouth harder (with more force, and farther in) when she was teething (on top of the cranky, drooling, etc....) oh and my doc told us to use ibuprofen not teething tablets or orajel. i did use the homeopathic drops... they worked wonders for my daughter.
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• my 6 month old son is the same way.. he drools so bad and chews on anything he can fit in his mouth. it looks like his i teeth are swollen but they have been like that for like 3 months now. i tried baby orajel and he freaked out cuz his mouth was numb. he didnt like that feeling at all. and it just made him drool even more. he seems to like it if i push and rub on his gums. i heard it can take up to 5 months for a tooth to pop through after they start teething. but i really dont know what else to do either. anyone else have some suggestions?
    hadleesmama

Answer by hadleesmama at 10:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• He probably has gas when he cries out out of nowhere like he is hurt, thats what all my kids have done and its been gas....also, babies just drool, its par for the coarse....2 months is pretty early for teething, and when they DO start to teeth, drooling gets much worse, you probably should get used to lots of drooling for a while and invest in some new bibs!
    Also, at this age they start to chew on there hands and other things just because they are discovering how to do it, NOT because they are necessarily teething or hungry, its simply exploration!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• AmandaHouse I am in the same boat! My daughter is just over 2 months and recently started chewing on her bottle nipple, her hand and drooling all over the place. She had a mild fever once of 99.7 but never again. She rubs her face on anything she can and grabs at her ears chin and cheeks. She has always been a very happy baby only crying when she is hungry until last week when she cried for an hour straight and nothing soothed her, that has happened 3 times so far. Everyone I talk to says she is way too young to have sore gums but my mommy instinct tells me thats her problem she has never screamed like she was in pain before. I have tried everything for her (tylenol, hylands teething tablets, teething rings, baby orajel) The only things that works for her is orajel and something to chew on. When she goes to the doctor next week for shots I am going to make sure its her gums but it breaks my heart to see her hurting.
    BrianasMommy09

Answer by BrianasMommy09 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009