Should I be worried about my 2 yr old (25 months) having less than 11 words?

My DS still isn't talking and he just turned two. Everything I've read says he should have at least 50-100 words by now but he only has 11. Should I be worried????

mssemmy

Asked by mssemmy at 5:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• unless they have other communication issues like lack of eye contact or lack of gesturing and understanding what you ask of them, then no!
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 5:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• YOU COULD GET HIM/HER CHECKED . BUT YOU HAVE TO ALSO UNDERSTAND EACH CHILD IS DIFFERENT AND THEY LEARN IN DIFFERNT WAYS AND AT A DIFFERENT PACE. =) IT'S REALLY NORMAL FOR U TO BE WORRIED BUT I HAD 2 NIECES THAT WERE LIKE THAT TOOTHEY STARTED TO TALK PHRASES AT 3.MY SISTER WENT TO THE DR. THEYCHECKED THEM AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE HE JUST SAID EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT. I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST WAIT IF BY 3 YRS THEY DON'T THEN TAKE HIM.
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 5:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• What does your pediatrician say? It wouldn't hurt to have an evaluation through Early Intervention. There may or may not be a problem but if there is, the sooner you address it the better.

In the mean time, read, read, read to him (as I'm sure you already do), talk to him and be descriptive as much as you can, and encourage him to use his words as much as he can. Pay attention to the sounds he makes: if he's using the same sound consistently for things, it counts as a word.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Neither of my boys talked that early. My older son at two years old said "Mama" and "Dada" and those were literally his ONLY words until he was almost two and a half. My younger son had NO words at all (not even "Mama") at that age. In fact, he didn't really start talking until his younger sister did, lol. He turned three in October, she's 22 months, and nowadays they both speak in sentences, so obviously every kid is different. As long as your little guy seems to understand what you say to him, and he can find other ways of getting his needs met, there's probably nothing to worry about. As a general rule, boys tend to talk later --- just a generalization there, but it certainly held true for my kids! Both of my girls spoke very early and very well, while my boys both had significant speech delays. Don't worry, he'll catch up when he's good and ready. :)
    Karen_Mom_of_4

Answer by Karen_Mom_of_4 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Well, my dear. Thing about is, I have a 5 year old brother, strange huh... lol... i was 16 when he was born... but any how... he really did not talk at all at that age either. My mother was kind of worried. You should be very worried, not because he is not talking, that is the least of your worries. When my brother hit 3 years old, it was like a over night thing.... he woke up one morning saying all kinds of stuff, no lie. So dont my worry my dear, every child is different, and when they start talking, they definatley start talking. My daughter is almost 2 years old. She can say easy phrases like want more, please, and things like that. Yeah, she says a lot of things, but that does not mean that your child wont learn... one more word of advice, talk to your child in a normal tone... i know baby talk is cute and fun. But youre child will talk to you how you talk to them... just letting you know.... thanks... sam
    Arielsmommy507

Answer by Arielsmommy507 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• As long as you can see he understands don't worry. Every child develops differently. My son didn't really start talking until he was 2 1/2. It was like one day he was using gestures and then over night started talking. Where my daughter can almost talk your ear off in toddler gibberish at 2. Through normal activities I would just name words and actions as I did them.
    mama_lou

Answer by mama_lou at 10:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I almost posted this question myself. I'm in a simular boat, my boy is 18 months and not even mummbling things. My mom scared me when she brought it up but these answers have eased my mind, thanks guys.
    Anonymous

• I have been through this myself. At 24 months my son only said 3 words. We started speak therapy and then found out that at the same time we needed to have his tonsils and adenoids removed because they were enlarged. He had constant sinus infections and sleep apnea which we didn't think were related to his speach. The ENT said that usually it wasn't. He only noticed big changes in kids that had constant ear infections which ours never had. Well, he had his surgery and within a week or two, we couldn't shut him up!!!! Docs don't know everything! I think his swollen tonsils and adenoids were keeping him from either speaking or hearing us clear enough to learn what we were saying to him. Not that I am telling you something is wrong medically with your child, I am just sharing my experience.
    hubgrunch

Answer by hubgrunch at 10:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2009