WE found out we are expecting another baby 6 months after our son was born!! YIKES. We received a baby shower for our first child and I don't want to be catty and greedy by asking someone to have another one for me, but I am a stay at home mom and we will need new items if the baby is a girl. Besides having a shower, how can we purchase items at minimal cost for our new arrival??

Asked by KELL342 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• On eBay, you’ll find baby clothes for 99 cents!More importantly,urgently,please check out the site Empathic Parenting and read about closely-spaced children. My first two were born18 months apart. Fortunately I had learned a lot in the Waldorf movement. And I had my husband's understanding for the challenge I faced to NOT break my toddler's heart when the new one arrived. Before the age of four, your child's love for you is intense and total(your love for your spouse pales in comparison)so just imagine how much hurt you cause if you withdraw from him and turn your love toward a new arrival! Of course I did not completely succeed, and I'm choking up as I type when I think of my sweet oldest one's periods of sadness and feeling lost. Please,please learn about this and devote yourself to loving your son. It needs only a couple of years to give him wholeness for the rest of his life!You can do it!Just don't let crazy society persuade you to do anything besides mothering your two bab

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• you dont have anything from your son? Like the big things I dont think it would be a little cheesy to have another shower, try ebay they have a lot of stuff on there and consignments shops help me out a lot too

Answer by dylandesiree23 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try a second hand shop or maybe swap clothes with friends, they may need some of your sons items and you can swap for some girly things.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Every baby deserves a shower. Maybe your family could give you a Diaper and Wipe shower even if it is another boy. I shopped Thrift stores but some people don't feel comfortable doing that.

Answer by Bebabydoll77 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i don't know where you are but there are these child consignment stores here called once upon a child. you could check it out online and see if there is one in you area just google it

Answer by masonelismom at 8:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Having another baby shower for gifts might come off alittle bit greedy. I'd suggest going to second hand stores if its a boy. You should probaly wait and see what the gender is before you do anythign drastic. Because if it is a girl you dont have to buy anything!! and you don't have to feel awkward about having another baby shower.

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Garage Sales!!! Great time of the year for them and a cheap and fun thing to do to get out of the house!!

Answer by mars33me at 10:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Have any other friends or relatives that have babies? My sister in law is kind of going through this same thing. Her children are about 16 months apart. We shop second hand, or go to your local stores in the beginning of seasons when everything goes on clearance and get some really cheap basics for the size you expect them to be the next time the weather suits the outfits. And really, it doesn't make a difference if you daughter sleeps in a blue bassinet for a few months in the grand scheme of things. I recommend against the football jersey on the little girl, but the bigger stuff should be fine to hand down. At least until they start protesting LOL

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I had to same problem, start looking at goodwill or gently used stores. I found a lot of stuff that looked like new-some still with tags for dirt cheap. and congrats!

Answer by Cyndi310 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2008