Can anyone recommend a special diet for a child w/adhd?

My son is 10 years old and he was diagnosed w/ADHD about two years ago. He wears the Daytrana patch during the week. On the weekends and school break we let him go w/o it and it can get very trying. He is very hyperactive and will not follow direction. We are adamant that he not be on medication except for school so I was wondering if anyone had any information in regards to maybe a special diet that might help with his behavior when he is not on his medicine. Or if anyone was familiar w/other ideas that would help w/his behavior. I appreciate any advice or help.

bensmom1998

Asked by bensmom1998 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Health

• My suggestion is not diet related but toxin related. Many Add and ADHD children are helped by getting all the toxins out of your home. Most of which we don't even think about. Cleaning supplies and some laundry and bathing supplies contain toxins. You can read about toxins at http://www.livetotalwellness.com or I could send you specific suggestions some parents have found helpful with dietary supplements instead of meds. I taught school for 35 years and know what it is like with ADHD children, yes very trying so I'd like to help you.
    clockmath

Answer by clockmath at 6:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Environmental toxicities, both indoor and outdoor, can be contributing factors, as can heavy metals and allergies. There are also some health conditions that can contribute to the problem, one of which plagued me for years and years. Diet is important , but sometimes it's a combination of what we should eat and what should absolutely be left out of our diet. I would be happy to talk with you about what worked for me and what has worked for many others.
    ladycincher

Answer by ladycincher at 9:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I completely ditto what clockmath wrote. I know many who use a mineral supplement for their children and it helps a lot too.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Im not sure medicating him all week and than stopping the meds for the weekend is a good thing, did you Dr ok it?
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009