• In the Spotlight:

Should I be ashamed that I do care when I pay taxes and financially contribute?

Why am I told that this should not be my business when I actively participate to make my world a better place by paying taxes? Shouldn't I have a hope for a positive reciprocal to society? If many moms agree to cut the corporate fat, should this include "fat" from other areas too?

Example- such as a single mom on public assistance being encouraged to work when her second child reaches two years of age , when the state does provide child care for children of this age?

Yes, I believe that this IS my and the public's business.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 6:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueSaphire I wasn't judging you, just people in general.. trust me, I was in a pretty bad financial situation, lost almost everything because of the economy around where I live, and other things as well... but I worked my butt off and made sure my daughter was fed and cared for, so I know what you mean... I just get irritated that I was even in that mess because of our economy.. I had a great job, and because people can't manage money properly in companies and in the government and put it where it really needs to go, others, like us, have to suffer. But I got another job, it's a lower pay scale, but it's a job, and I'm in college and I'm making it. But this wouldn't be a problem if our government wasn't so screwed up. I've done a lot to try to fix things with our SS office, but nothing has come of hardly any of the letters I've send to them, or our senator, etc. We couldn't get SS for help, and we made it anyways
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• No you shouldnt be ashamed but it doesnt give you the right to lay judgment on others less fortunate then you. I was raised with money and always taught its never right to judge those with less then we have. Not everyone can figure out how to make their lives better ya know? I do think more needs to be done to teach ppl how to make themselves better providers and better educated. You arent the only person in the country who pays them.

Answer by gemgem at 6:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• What do you mean by encouraged to work?? You mean providing daycare??
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree with you! I dont think my tax money should go to single mothers who do nothing all day!!!! I do agree that a single mom should go back to work as soon as possible! Yes shit happens but it is not everyone's business.
    I think couples and single parents should only get financial help from the goverment if they has some kind of a job (and give that person money to help with the bills - not pay for everything while the mother doesnt work) - I do agree if the goverment helps that parent or family if the parent is going to school still trying to get a degree and hopefully be able to support that child with out help from the goverment.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 6:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• That is what I understood... "encouraging to work" would be providing day care so the parent could get a job - or even lets say that the parent only makes $ 2.000 a month and she needs $ 2.200 to pay all the bills... the goverment only should give that person a $ 300.00 check because the person works - BUT NO instead the goverment will pay for everything if the mother stays home! that is not right.... it costs us tax payers more money.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 6:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Gemgem- The public assistant system does give direction on education (how to apply for fafsa) while giving assisted childcare. People may land on public assistance, but this doens't mean that they are without resources for a better life.

Farrahann- If you are a licensed daycare provider, God speed ahead.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 6:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Paty, I'm sure this goes from state to state, but in California in order to get aid you have to do job searches. I believe it's like 20 applications or inquiries every 6 months? I don't remember.

Until you have been a struggling single mom, you really shouldn't judge. The system sets people up for failure. Once you're in that hole it gets harder and harder to get yourself out. I'm not saying it's impossible, or that there's any excuse to give up and just live off of the system, but you're generalizations are pretty ignorant.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well I agree with you. I do think that people who cannot survive without welfare should be encouraged to work. We qualify for welfare now that I am not working, but are not on it due to us *GASP* not wasting money and picking and choosing what to spend it on. Ya know...like LIVING WITHIN our MEANS??
    Anonymous

• IMO the money isn't being distributed as it was originally intended to. 1- it was not suppose to go to people that abuse drugs (but it does now, if you apply for disability). Rather than using my money to have this person live at home and continue to abuse drugs/alcohol, I would rather see it going to helping him go to rehab, to get him/herself clean.
    2-this isn't meant as a hand out, it was meant as a hand up. So if you were laid off or fired, they should have programs for you to go to, trade school, college, community services, etc, in order for you to get these benefits.
    3-don't confuse disability with the welfare system, someone on disability has every right to help.. but for long term disabilities there should be programs to allow them to learn a job/career, that they can do, without worrying about their disability hindering them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• so yes, the government giving out our tax payers money to programs that aren't being handled properly is our business. Wouldn't your rather you money go to funding those actually in need, instead of a drug abusers habits (no this isn't the case all the time, but it is an issue). It is our business because politicians alone won't help fix the system, because they depend on these people for votes. The more they hand out, the better the possibilities for these politicians. So you don't worry that the government continues to give out money senselessly, especially when we are in a recession, to those that abuse it? I do. What happens to those that need it, when our economy continues to decline and we run out of money in the system because of those same abusers? Do you honestly believe that is fair to the people out there that really NEED it? With our economy continuing to decline, and people continuing to say it's not my ..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2009