Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I find out what PA options are available to me in CA?

I live in southern CA and I think my marriage is coming to a swift end. If that's the case, I need to be prepared. I don't want to take my son away from his father, but I can't afford to live where we are now without assistance. I'm in school and am a SAHM. I will be getting a full-time job and continue school if this happens like I think it will. I wouldn't be proud of it, but I will have to go on PA to stay here. Of course I wouldn't use it longer than I needed it, but I simply can't take my son 2,000 miles away to where my parents are, and therefore away from his father, because our marriage is failing. KWIM? Any help you can give me in the form of websites or offices I can contact would be wonderful.

Bashers need not respond. This isn't the result of not trying and I will not abuse the system.


Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I think it is great you are thinking of your child and realize he needs his father too. So many moms when they divorce do only think about themselves and don't care if the dad can see the kid or not. I have no problem with a mom getting assistance so she can make sure her child is able to see both parents. Kids need a mom and a dad. I would contact a local office for info. Hopefully, he will be paying support too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • PA? Public assistance? Check in with your local department of social services but be aware that the state's budget woes might make it very difficult.

    Get to a lawyer and make sure you get the child support you need to stay where you are without having to rely in shaky state payouts.

    Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • Won't he be paying child support. You live in Cali you can get half his income.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

  • "I simply can't take my son 2,000 miles away to where my parents are." I would, but not because of public assistance. I would do it because you will have a lot of positive help and love from your folks. You can get PA there too if you need it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2009