Can't you refuse tests at the hospital????? (Hope this makes sense...I'm venting)

I'm so pissed. I went in to the ER this morning because my left arm that I broke is still bothering me, as well as my shoulder.

They rushed me in and wanted to do an EKG, because it's my left arm. I told them NOOOO....I'm not having heart problems, I need my arm looked at again. They told me they were worried because my pulse rate was too high. I tell them no I don't have insurance and I'm honestly stressing, but they did a shit load of tests anyways. They even made me have a chest xray for pneumonia and I have no symptoms!

Of course I was stressed; that's why my pressure and rate was up. He just told me he suspected I have MS (no freakin symptoms of it either), and needed to test for it. Of course I was stressed....I had a 5 year old with me that a nurse had given a can of coke to and chocolate. She was crazy wired because she has a sugar sensativity. Plus, I was in pain!!!

So, 3000 bucks later and here I am....with low potassium, arm still not looked at and blood pressure meds. Oh, and I don't have heart problems, or pneumonia, or MS or thryoid problems, or any of the other 12 tests they did to me!!!!!

Since when can you NOT refuse medical tests???? Ughhhhh.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2012 in Health

• I was just there 5 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with the broken damn arm

I treat this stuff for a living... if you had pain that was bad enough to send you to the ER from a 5 wk old Fx I can see why they are looking for another cause. Generally when you are seen in the ER for an ortho issue you are referred to an ortho to continue the treatment. What bone did you break??

If you think the testing was over the top you have to go to management (office of the hospital president, chief of medicine, etc) and report it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2012

• I went to radiology for my arm xray. Didn't know they were doing my chest.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2012

• I totally get that, layh41407, but I was just there 5 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with the broken damn arm and fractured tail bone. I was stressed from dd and the MS bullshit scare.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2012

• Well, Crafty, they specifically told me to come back if it got any worse. I went back because when I woke this morning the pain was terrible in my shoulder area. Not many PCPs open at 5 am.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2012

• I don't think so, Virginia. After all was said and done, they wheeled me into an office, gave me the bill, and asked for down payment. They could have gotten me to sign something stating I was refusing the tests.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2012

• I was in getting my xrays, Meooma. I even told the nurse that she doesn't drink soda, and she said, "well, it's a special occassion."
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2012

• I'll do that, Virginia. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'm so upset at myself for even going. I should have sucked it up, like my SO said. I'm calling it a night and going to bed. The blood pressure meds they put in my IV are making me very light headed and dizzy.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2012