How can I get my 6 month old to take the pacifier again?

I breast/bottle feed {bottle when I'm out the house} but she will not take the pacifier at all,I've turned into her human pacifier,but it's beginning to hurt. she's not my first child but,I tried it before when I was in my 20's gave up after 2 months,decided to try it again because I did it in the hospital & the doctors pretty much told me it was much better. What do u think ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• please dont give her water, that can be very harmful for small babies
    I breastfed all 3 of my kids, still going strong at 3 1/2 months with #3 right now! and NONE of them would take a bottle OR a pacifier, its all mommy if they are hungry or if they need a bit of comfort...I dont really mind too much, when they are old enough to hold onto things I try giving them teethers and rattles and such to have to suck on but if they need to nurse for comfort, I dont mind, if im out in public I just drape a blanket over and nurse, its never been a big deal to me, its totally a natural thing, if someone doesnt want to se me nurse, they dont have to look!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• instead of a paci, give her a bottle of water. that way you dont have to break her from the paci later and it doesnt hurt you
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• you don't want to get into the paci habit, trust me. I am going through the whole human paci thing myself right now....you just have to ween them off...good luck!
    Anonymous

• You are not the human pacifier - the pacifier is a plastic nipple.

She is better off without it.
    At this point, when you think she is nursing for comfort, she is more than likely still nursing for nutrition. She needs it, let her have it.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• No water, please! It can be dangerous for babies.

Lansinoh to help with your soreness. You can certainly try different pacifiers but some babies really just want to nurs.e At six months, it is growth spurt time and I would expect constant nursing for a couple of days.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009