TRAVEL ADVICE???

what is your best advice for flying with a 12 month old and being away from home for 12 days (staying with friends and family.. no hotel). thanks!!!

mse04

Asked by mse04 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to keep your routines as much as possible. With my kids, they adjusted to the difference in time zones by my waking them up ontime in the morning and putting them to bed at the same time at night.

As for flying, I suggest taking jet blue if you can. They have free TV and one of the channels is cartoons. Don't forget to bring favorite toys to keep the baby entertained. Also bring snacks.

If you breastfeed or bottle feed, give him/her the breast for bottle at take off and landing. It'll help keep his/her ears open so they don't have to pop when you land (which for little ones can be painful).

Someone once suggested to me that we take a mid night flight. We tried that but my son became over tired and threw tantrums. He just wouldn't sleep. It might work for other kids though.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• do not feed him between flights. If you feed him as the plane is starting and taking off it will pop his ears when they need to and he will usually sleep either the entire flight or for most of it. I did this with my first when he was 9 months and it was a blessing.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i should add.... we are going to be 6 time zones away so the schedule is going to be really hard!!! anyone have extra advice on that?
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Take a change of clothes and a plastic bag on the plane. I had many great flying experiences with my toddler, but one time she threw up all over everything and I didn't have extra clothes. The bag is if you want to keep the messy clothes. Otherwise throw them out.

And she wasn't sick with a cold or anything. She just got sick on the flight. :(
    Anonymous

• I had to go to FL when my mom died for 10 days with the girls and no Jared. They were 12 mos and 3 at the time. Bring snacks and drinks for the plane, I assume by then she won't be doing bottles, but if she still takes them then bring that too. Bring 2 sets of extra clothes for the plane too- sometimes it upsets their tummies. Maddie napped pretty well, but she was still nursing so I was abke to get her to sleep that way during takeoff. Crayons, coloring books, playdoh in a ziploc bag, and a nerf ball would probably keep her occupied.

As far as while you are there, I guess all she needs is you, food, diapers, clothes, and a place to sleep. It will kind of depend on how she does while off her routine. If she is pretty fexible then don't worry. If she likes things familiar then bring some of her favorite toys and stuffed animals and blanket. my girls were just excited to be somewhere else, so i didn't have to entertain much.
    Girlymommy

Answer by Girlymommy at 12:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• As far as the time change foes, try to keep her up as long as possible the day before the trip. If she sleeps a lot the first day of the trip it will help her regulate a bit better so she does not go haywire! :)
    Girlymommy

Answer by Girlymommy at 12:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009