my daughter is 18 months and she dosent eat very well.I've tried lots of different foods.

kiannas_mommy

Asked by kiannas_mommy at 7:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep offering her a variety of healthy foods and drink and she'll come around eventually. It's not unusual for toddlers to be picky eaters but it won't last forever and she won't starve: she'll get hungry and eat.
    Be sure she's not filling up on drinks. Stick to milk and water. Offer 8oz of milk with each meal and water in between meals.
    You may also want to check with your pediatrician about putting her on a daily multivitamin.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. Eats like a mouse, My pediatrician says it's completely normal. Toddlers like to eat small meals and snacks. The pediatrician has told me they go through growing spells and it shows through their appetite. If she doesn't want to eat that day just try a teaspoon of peanut butter. That's packed with protein. Also yogurt was suggested to me.
    mama_lou

Answer by mama_lou at 9:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My 15 month old eats like a bird too. She is only 19 lbs 7 oz. The DR has assured me she is growing well & doing great. Just keep offering food. You are doing a great job. As long as she is happy & growing then you are being a good Mommy! =]
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 10:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i had a hard time geting my kids to eat also. especially the healthy stuff. i actually started searching through different websites and cookbooks to make the things they did eat a little healthier. out of four of my children only one willingly eats veggies so i hide them in the food mainly by pureeing them and adding them to something similar in color. i did this because no matter how many times i offered them they always refused to eat them. they also get a vitamin everyday and i dont allow them a lot of sweets or junk. just keep trying and keep the food interesting if ya can. i think as long as they are eating and growing the way they should then maybe just talk to their doc and see if a vitamin will work. good luck.
    jenkent

Answer by jenkent at 12:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I've noticed it too. My daughter is 2.5 now. She'll go weeks where she seems to eat 2 crackers and a cup of milk a day. Then she'll have a couple days (usually no more than 2) where she eats and eats.
    What can you do? Since she eats so few bites, make every bite count. Keep cookies and candies as special treats, not foods. Offer her a variety of healthy food during the day and let her decide to eat or not. If she does eat, at least you know she's eating something with some value.
    Other tricks?
    If you buy cookies, get whole wheat fig newtons. If you buy goldfish, get the whole wheat ones. Does she want a snack? Room temp (or fridge temp) peas are tasty. Fresh fruits expensive? Canned fruits packed in fruit juice are a good substitute.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dd is a very light eater & VERY PICKY.. I just make sure when she is eating, its good food.. and not junk.. so she snacks alot on fresh fruits & whole wheat crackers, yogurt... At dinner she ussually doesnt like what we have so i will fix a extra healthy side for her that i know she will eat..
    As long as your child seems to be healthy & thriving, dont worry to much about it! My dd is 26mo & only 25lbs. but she is healthy so im not worried.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009