Medicaid for unborn child

I am currently on Medicaid and is due in 6 weeks. When I tour the hospital they asking if I have a pediatrician pick out for the baby, however I don't have insurance for the baby. How do I apply one for the baby before he was born or what I need to do when I delivery the baby, so he can be in the best care and got all the shot before we got home???

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 8:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you personally on medicade? When I got approved they also sent me an id card that says baby of (my name) and it covers the child for a year from the day they are born. If you haven't yet then apply for medicade tonight!!! It takes 30-45 days to be approved.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 8:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well they still want u to pick out a doctor or else u will end up with who ever is on staff that day for ur childs doctor. But even though u do not have insurance if u r on medicaid then so is ur child. My son is on medicaid and has been sincce before he was born u will just have to send in a copy of the birth certificate and a copy of his socail when u get it back. And update it once a year. U child will have all the first shots when they come out of the hospital no matter what unless u decide not to vacinate. My son didnt have a doctor when i had him i picked his doc a day or two after and he still had all his shots and everything when he left even though the doc at the hospital was TERRIBLE i hated her so if i were u i would pick a good one before hand. GOOD LUCK HUN oh yeah will u message me and let me know where u live
    Kelsmomma123

Answer by Kelsmomma123 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Call your case worker. Thats the best thing you can do!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If you qualify during pregnancy then your baby will too. All you do is after the baby is born, take the BC and such to your caseworker and they get the baby on it and it's not long until you can take baby to the doc. You can have a doc picked out, just call and see if they except medicaid and be prepared.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• When you fill out your baby's birth certificate paper work, there will be a place where you will fill out your medicaid id number. When your baby's birth certificate is being filled your case worker will be notified and you will send your baby's medicaid card. This takes 6 weeks or so.....However, When taking your baby to the Dr. for the first time a few days after birth, they will ask to see your medicaid card. That is all, You dont have to do anything. If you are on medicaid your baby is on it automatically. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    SkylarsMom2007

Answer by SkylarsMom2007 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2009