For those who use time-out... how old are your children, and how long do you put them in time-out?

airforcewifemom

Asked by airforcewifemom at 8:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest is 9, and my middle is 5. I put them in time out a minute for their age. So my 9 year old is in time out for 9 minutes, and the 5 year old in time out for 5 minutes.
    Anonymous

• 5 mins for my 5 y/o and 3 mins for me 3 y/o
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I still use time outs with my 8 & 10yr olds, they have to stand in the corner and it's a minute per year so 8 & 10 minutes.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I plan on following the one minute per each year of age rule.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 8:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i do the same how old they are thats how long
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 9:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Mine are 5, 3 and 2 years. They stand in the corner until they decide they are going to do as they were told. If they are in the corner for hitting or something, they stand there until they are ready to show me they can be gentle and demonstrate the correct way to get what they want (from me or their brothers).

If they say they are going to do as they were told and then DON'T...they go right back into time out. When they say they're ready again, I tell them I'm not ready and they have to wait. (they get tired a LOT quicker by standing btw) I make them wait a bit longer and then they have to do an extra job.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Mine are 5 5 6 and 6. I usually do the min. per age thing, BUT when they decided that they have not learned their lesson, they stay in longer. Sometimes they will stay in if they refuse to apologize or stop mean mugging everyone. LOL Something else that works, is giving them the choice to straighten up their behavior before they consequence of getting sent to the corner.

If you send them to the corner, make them stand with their nose to the wall...breathing room though. LOL If they lounge around, lean and look back, the corner is not respected and a concequence...it works for us...very well...stay to it.

Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• 2-1/2 years old and for 3 minutes.
    Depending on the situation, her timeout sometimes will not start until she has stopped throwing her fit. Then we will start her 3 minutes.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 9:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It depends on what they did. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. More times than not I go with the minute/year of age rule but if they decide to throw a fit or won't give it up then they can stand in the corner until they are ready to concede.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 10:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• 6 year old get 1-6 min. She doesn't get 6 min very often. I only use time out when I can't think of a more logical consequence (getting better at that). 18 month old is too young IMO for time out.

Butterflybabies

Answer by Butterflybabies at 10:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2009