MIL abandoned my H..and now wants to be grandma!

Background: my MIL is a piece of crap, imo. she had my son when she was young and her father adopted him. 4 years later she had another baby, which her father said he wouldn't adopt. She ran off across the country after robbing the video store she was working at, while my H and her father were on vacation, with her younger son and left my H. He was only 4 years old. She didn't get in contact with her father or my H for years. I understand that legally she couldn't take him bc he wasn't legally hers, but my thing is, if you can't take your kid with you, you don't leave! She hardly ever calls my H, only on xmas and maybe on his birthday. My son was born in April and she called to ask about him a few times, but mostly to criticize me. It really rubs me the wrong when she does this, considering she couldn't take care of one of her children! Any advice on how to deal with this woman?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• my biological mother is like that.. dont let her be "grandma"! she doesnt deserve it just like my biological mother and her mother dont deserve to be.. i told my grandmother that after she didnt bother to be in contact with me til i turned 18, and i told her to screw off
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• why would you care what she thought/said? she's not really in your life, just the occasional phone call....you know what your life is, don't let someone like her bother you. she's nothing. if your dh is trying to regain a relationship with her, that's his business. but my guess is he's getting about as much out of her calls as you are. i wouldn't pay her any mind.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I'd hold my anger and nicely say "I appreciate you wanting to give advice but you had your opportunity to be a good mom. Now it's my turn". Being nice about it usually gets their goat!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009