How do i get my son to sleep in in the morning?? HELP

My son is just shy of 6 months old (5weeks premature) and it doesn't matter what time i put him to bed he automatically wakes up at 5am for his pacifier and then again at 6 to eat.. i am defiantly not a morning person and would like him to get on my schedule. im way to cranky in the morning and i feel bad for having an attitude towards everyone in the house. what can i do to make him sleep to at least 7-7:30??? PLEASE HELP!!

hadleesmama

Asked by hadleesmama at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't. You need to adjust your schedule to meet his. He will be changing his as time goes on, but until then you need to accommodating to his. Our LO will sleep 12-16 hours at night. Just depends on whether she is going through a growth spurt. My SO would like for her to sleep until 11 when he likes to get up, but he has had to adjust his schedule to meet hers. He isn't a morning person either. You have to make it work until he is able to adjust his.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son is 8.5 months old and is doing the same thing. Our alarm goes off at 5:30am and we would like for him to sleep in until 6:00am to give us 30 min to get ready. But he has now started waking up at 5:00 which is irritating because it ruins my last 30 min of sleep (which is deeply needed). On weekends we found that if we put him in our bed to "snuggle"; he'll fall asleep for another 1-2 hours. That's the best we have found so far (not a fan of the cry it out method). If you find a solution please let me know.... I hate being cranky towards my son and husband due to lack of sleep also; I'm sure they too will be grateful....lol!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree, bring him to bed with you in the Am for some morning snuggles and sleep. otherwise, when he wakes up offer a tasty and enticing toy too keep him occupied .. some babies will go for that, some like mine would look at me like I'm crazy, lol.

good luck!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• my baby does the same thing. my little trick is, i brought his swing into the bedroom and when he wakes up at six after i feed him i put him in his swing. it usually puts him back asleep for another two hours! i keep the room pretty dark also.
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• haha the swing i have wont move with him in it. hes to fat for it lol. i have tried putting him to bed late and everything.. i think im gunna have to go buy some black out curtains... who knows.. any more suggestions???????????????/
    hadleesmama

Answer by hadleesmama at 9:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yeah, i have the same thing going on. Vincent wakes at 4am every morning to eat so i breastfeed and he falls bak asleep til 7, usually. Sometimes it's 3;30 sometime4:30 and sometimes he sleeps a little later, but really, i think thats the best he's gonna do for a while now. Coffee is my best friend. sometimes i bring him out into the living room(at 7 if he's awake) and i turn on the tv, give him a bottle, set his toys out, and he stays content for at least an hour and i can get that extra hour of sleep!
    Tauria

Answer by Tauria at 1:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009