• In the Spotlight:

Do time-outs really work?

I just don't get it. My kids think it is a joke!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do you look at them while they are in time out? You must ignore them while they are there. If they get up the time must start over, and they should sit there for 1 min per year of age. If it doesn't work then you need to find some sort of punishment that will or they will walk all over you and you won't be the one in control anymore. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Have you tried different kinds of time outs? I used to have my dd sit in a chair but that stopped working so I had her stand in the corner. She hates it. My ds who is 2 1/2 sits on the steps and cries. It is like the worst thing ever for him.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• as with all punishments, it depends on the kid.
    My son HATES time out OR being sent to his room. so it definately works for him
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It works for my son. I put him in the corner, set the timer and completely ignore him until the timer goes off. If he doesn't stay in the corner we start over.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes, they work wonderfully for my kids. Maybe you need to change the way you are doing it. I don't use the corner method. My children go to their rooms.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes, my son only became aggressive when he was spanked. With timeouts he has a chance to cool down and think about what he did. If he repeats the behavior he gets another timeout and loses a privilege. If there is a third time we strip his room. He rarely gets a time out and never gets two now. We get compliments on how well behaved he is. My son is a very strong willed child so at first it was not easy but we were consistent and he learned what was acceptable and what was not. Consistency is important in any discipline method. I know many parents who spank but are not consistant. The kids know they have a 50/50 shot at the spanking so they will risk it.

Anonymous

• It usually works if it's done right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They didn't work on my older 3 kids when they were little because they teamed up on me. When one was in time out I had to stand right next to them to make sure they stayed where they were. If I moved or did something else they would just get up and start playing. They thought it was a game. And while I was standing there making sure they stayed in time out the other 2 were getting into trouble.
    They work now that they are older but I'm much stricter now. They have to stand in the corner with their noses and toes touching the wall and their hands at their sides. If they move too much or whine I reset the timer. They HATE it and would rather get spanked, lol.
    They work on my 2yo but I'm not as strict with her (yet). She just has to stay/sit in the corner which she does but cries the whole time. She hates time outs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I make my kids stand in the corner facing the wall, if they talk, play or turn around their time out starts all over again.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2009