Retraction:

If an infant has not been circumcised and is left in their natural state, should you pull the foreskin back, yes or no?

The actual information is that you should NEVER retract an intact infant or boy until THEY have seperated and can retract on their own...but I am curious as to what YOU think should be done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The only person who should be pulling back the foreskin of a boy who is not circumcised is the boy to which the foreskin is attached! He is the only one who really knows how far it can retract without discomfort or pain. So many Americans (including doctors and nurses, unfortunately) are very ignorant about the care of the natural penis. They may know that an adult needs to rinse under his foreskin, but many people don't seem to realize that a baby/child's foreskin requires different care.  Because so many people are ignorant about retraction, I tell any babysitter, doctor, or nurse who might be in my son's diaper region that I will file assault charges against them if they even try to retract his foreskin.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 6:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No you should not pull it back.
    Anonymous

• Oh god, please don't pull it back. The foreskin naturally retracts between 2-4 years of age and should NEVER be forcibly retracted. It's painful, and can cause infections!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• NO! Don't pull it back. The owner of the penis is the only one who should retract it and it can remain attached to the glans until puberty.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Nope leave it alone...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Leave it alone!!!
    I disagree with the post that says "The foreskin naturally retracts between 2-4 years of age " It is normal for the foreskin to first retract anywhere between 0-18yrs old. You just wash it off like you would a finger. When you see that your little guy is retracting it, then teach him to when he bathes. My 7 yr old has been retractable for years, my 8 yr old is still not retracting and sometimes balloons when he pees. Both totally normal.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009