Could you tell when your son was little....

that he was gay?

Trish R.

Asked by Trish R. at 11:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• Our boys are 15, 8, and 9 yrs old, and I don't look at them and wonder if they're gay, I look at them and know I love them no matter what.... It's out of my control, so I don't worry about it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2012

• Mine isn't, so no. THAT SAID... some gay men and women say they knew from the beginning that they were different from usual expectations.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2012

• Well my brother was married, has kids, is in his 30's and says now that He is gay and is in love with a man. I always thought that when he was younger he was a little on the effeminate side, but I never saw this coming. My parents really aren't too happy, I hope that its a phase and he will get over it soon and go back to his family. If its not a phase, I will support him no matter what. But I am concerned.
    Trish R.

Comment by Trish R. (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2012

• moot point
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2012

• Not my kids but I know my friends son is, she's in denial
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2012

• A phase.... He's been keeping this bottled up for years hoping that getting married, etc would make it go away.. It obviously hasn't so it's time for him to be happy, and move on with his life. He can still be a Father, but now he can be honest with himself, and his family...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2012

• so far..no. but, by knowing others when they were young (as early as 12), i've been correct by the count of 4 persons..who are presumably happy, out&about in their gay/lesbian adulthoods.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2012

• I have a cousin who growing up with thought was a little.....ummmm......but he turned out to not be gay.
    Anonymous

• A phase? Seriously? Being gay won't go away, he hoped it would by getting married and having kids. Clearly it didn't.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2012

• he's not. but when he was little, we were always very open about the subject and our views on it, so if he had turned out to be gay, he would think (know) it's normal. Didn't matter to us either way.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2012